We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Excelsior Springs...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I've read some reviews about the specialty restaurants in the RPRM that weren't too encouraging. So, my question is... Just go with the buffet or try them out ?

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Food is subjective. Try them out, you've already paid for it. If you don't like it get up and go to the buffet.

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

we enjoyed them when we were there a couple of months ago. steakhouse (outdoors) was really good imo. if you dont like what you have at the restaurant go to the buffet afterwards

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Make sure you get the early seating otherwise you might not have enough time to go to the buffet after leaving the specialty restaurant. But for sure, try them. Last year at the RPM we ate all 14 dinners at the buffet, have tried all their specialty restaurants over the years, as we can pick and choose what we want to eat and when.

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

In my opinion our favorites in order was:

-Mexican

-Japanese

-Steakhouse

-Krystal

then buffet.... not a big fan of brazilian as we found it too salty.

You an book reservations by the lobby bar from 12p-3p and i think you can make either 2 or 3 reservations at a time. I believe seatings were for either 6:30p & 8:45p?

Excelsior Springs...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Thanks everyone !

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I didnt know this before, but men can wear shorts to dinner at the brazillian, mexican, steakhouse and the buffet! Is that relatively new cuz i thought it was only chilis and the buffet where shorts were ok? Regardless a nice surprise cuz i hate wearing pants!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Seems to be it all depends upon who's working Chris. Guess they haven't read www.riu.com as to what's required. I expect your gf also likes you to not wear pants too. LOL Whatever you do, don't go to the RPM, you won't be a happy camper.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

It's written in the little guide book that's supplied in the room...and I double checked when I was booking the ala cartes too! Yes that makes me happy!

I have one of those e-card posters up in my office...says "I'm not upset that it's Monday, I'm upset because I have to wear pants". It's true ;)

Freedom is coming my friend...freedom from the oppression of the ai ala carte requirement for guys to wear pants at dinner!

Edited: 10:21 am, November 20, 2012
9. Re: Specialty restaurants at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 14, 2013