We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach about 5 hours ago. Depression is starting to set in. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

Tootan--I know you booked the Barcelo after problems with the Sandos Caracol. What did you think of the Barcelo? Glad you made the change?

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

I was more than happy with the Barcelo. The grounds were beautiful and this was a huge resort if you like that kind of thing. There were lots of things to keep us busy without leaving the resort. We did not care to try the ala cartes (they only had Mexican and Spanish and my husband likes neither) but the buffet changed daily and they had a huge variety of food to pick from. (I gained 7 pounds). The shows they had at night were somewhat professional. I have been to several other places and most of the shows were pretty stupid. The kids activities were great - they had a really cool water slide area for kids that had just recently opened. The only thing I really thought was lacking was the service. The people working there were not overly friendly - seemed almost overworked at times. I did not really have a big problem with that because I had read the complaints before I left and was aware of it. Our room was awesome and was cleaned every day - did not have any problems with air conditioning, water, sewage, or all the other scary stories I was reading about the Caracol. I am very satified with what we ended up with and am very sad to now be back home.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
281 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

WE jsut retuned the week of the 10th. I couldn't agree more with TooTan. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were very clean. Customer Service lacks here at this resort!!! My kids had a great time and my husband and I both agree that this resort has the best beach we have visited in Mexico. We will return soon but on the Tropical/Coloinal side. Its much nicer, newer, closer to the waterpark and you can eat everywhere. The Beach And Caribe only offer the Spanish and Mexican Rest. and that is what you are basically eating at the buffets. I can't wait until we go back it was very relaxing!!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

Tootan, just wondering how to get to the "unofficial site" with the map and all. I was there in the fall and cannot remember which building we stayed in. They were working on the new addition.

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from the Barcelo Maya Beach

Pattp

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com

In the center of this homepage there is a section titled "New Postings". Under that section there is a listing called Detailed map of entire complex.