We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Elements or El Faro Condos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
The Elements or El Faro Condos

Does anyone have any personal knowledge of these two condos. A comparison would be excellent. Which has the nicer beach? Think they both are in a great location... is that right?

Playa Del Carmen, MX
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

Hi Tooteep,

I would say that the biggest difference is the location and the quality of beach and having a restaurant on premise. The Elements is in the quieter North end and most people on these boards agree the beaches on the North are nicer. The El Faro is closer to the "action" downtown and has a very popular restaurant Wickeys, the Elements does not have a restaurant. Full disclosure, I assist the Elements with their website.

Andy

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

I agree with PlayaMayaGuy, Elements is in a quieter location and doesn't have a restaurant. However, Canibal Royal Beach Club is just a few hundred feet away and has excellent food, love their pizza.

El Faro uses Wicky's Beach Club, excellent clubhouse sandwich.

I love both of the beaches equally. I don't know how you could rate one better than the other.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

I think El Faro is a half block from 5th Ave, how far would Elements be from restaurants and shopping? Does one condo have a busier beach? Are both beaches are rock free and frolick worthy (: . I think both condos offer basically the same amenities as well?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

El Faro has the busier beach, but there are still lots of strollers up by Elements. El Faro beach is a little wider, but both are rock free and fun to swim in. Actually, most folks bob in the water with a great big smile on their face. Elements is about 250 ft to the water, but they still have an unobstructed view. They have a little beach area with chairs, but I have never seen anyone sitting in the chairs. I assume they are all over at Canibal Royal, which is a very nice beach club. A little music, good service, great food.

I don't want to contradict PlayaMayaGuy, but the difference in the quality of difference between the two beaches is nada. You ask a good question about which beach is busier. Elements is quieter, and El Faro is more lively.

It's about 400 yards to 38 Calle and 5th Avenue from Elements, and that's where the restaurants start. It's a moot point because you will stroll the entire length of 5th Avenue nearly every evening, and that is about 1 1/2 miles from 5th Ave and 38 Calle. Enjoy the basil martini at Piola's, the wonderful breakfast at La Cuevo del Chango and dinner at ComoComo and Cocina 38 Drupa. If you are looking for authentic Mexican seafood restaurant don't miss El Pirata just west of 5th Ave on 40 Calle. Playa is loaded with wonderful restaurants both on and off 5th Avenue.

Edited: 8:33 pm, June 14, 2012
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

I have stayed at The Elements and although it has a stunning architectural design with each condo offering beautiful views of the pool and ocean the property management has a lot to be desired. You have to wash and dry your own towels and the dryer did not work, after 10 days of requesting repairs we gave up, almost no satellite channels, the bed linens were like sleeping on sandpaper, the towels were old and frayed, the pool was shut down for two days due to needing to be shocked and the most frustrating aspect was finding anyone from management to discuss our disappointment. The Elements is located at the northern most part of PDC and you will be walking a lot to reach the main section of 5th ave. But not out of reach and close to Cueva del Chango.

The Cannibal Royal beach club is swanky with a retro Cuban vibe and across the street from The Elements. Food at times was very good but the drinks are not made with any quality ingredients, they use orange flavored drink mix instead of orange juice. This being said we always spend a day just hanging out there since it is a cool beach club and is on a nice beach...it is a bit pricey.

As for El Faro....looked nice and have considered staying with them but its just to close to the "action" for us. We do like Wickys for dinner but will set you back some serious cash. Alaskan king crab legs $95.00 U.S. dollars. I just had lunch at the beach bar three days ago and was disappointed to find no Lobster macaroni and cheese on the menu and the music was just unbearably loud. Good happy hour though.

Have you checked out The El Taj...... very nice beach club, world class services and condos that are second to no one in PDC. This has become our new home away from home. Oldtraveller turned us onto them a couple of years ago and we now blame him for having to only stay at the El Taj...lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

A lot of great advice, thanks. Once I decide on a condo my next question will be restaurants so oldtraveller you've already given me a jump on that one. I did look at some of the condos at El Taj but they seemed like they might be out of my snack bracket I will send out some feelers and see. Tequilia when did you stay at the Elements, wondering if they have improved any. The condos do, as you said, look stunning with the open views. I have been looking at the ones with a roof top terrace and they take my breath away in the pictures but your first hand experience speaks miles.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

I absolutely adore El Faro! I have two reviews posted. IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find better at your price point. Check out my reviews or feel free to PM me.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

You should note that the pedestrian only part of Fifth ends at 32 Street. Between 32 and 38 streets there is traffic and some areas are poorly lit. Its not nearly as pleasant as walking on the pedestrian part of 5th Avenue but it is only three blocks. El Faro is definitely a great location and we found management there to be quite responsive. Wicky's is expensive in the evenings which is probably why it is almost empty after five or so, but you would be half a block from 5th so there is no reason to have to eat at Wicky's.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

Cotown, I am not familiar with this area are you saying if I were staying at the Elements I would have to walk between 32 and 38 and staying at El Faro I would not?

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Elements or El Faro Condos

Hi Tooteep

I have never been to the Elements but I have a general idea where it is and OT3 says about 400 yards from Fifth and 38 Street. You would be north of where the pedestrian mall ends if you stayed at the Elements. Of course you can always walk the beach during daytime and take taxis at night.

El Faro is at the beach and 10th Avenue, almost in the middle of the pedestrian mall.

Don't get me wrong it is not that bad to walk on fifth north of 32 and I have heard there are some good places to eat up there but its just not as nice an experience as the pedestrian mall in my humble opinion.