We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about sea grass

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Topic
Question about sea grass

We have been looking at PDC for a vacation. We have stayed at the IGP 3 times and like it very much. While reading a Live From thread at SSS, FF Man said " The beach is certainly much improved on last year and the seagrass is no worse than it was at ERC and that part of the coast or at PDC " I have never stayed in PDC but I don't remember alot of sea grass when visiting. I have seen recent pictures of the beach at SSS and that is not what I am looking for, we like to swim in the ocean. Is the sea grass a problem in the PDC like the Puerto Morelos area ?

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Question about sea grass

I don't think it's being picky. It changes the color of the water. If I wanted to see dull water, I'd stick closer to home and go to SE Texas beaches.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Question about sea grass

Actually PDC is not prone to massive floating seaweed arrivals either. My friends were going to Riu Tequila in April and before of their arrival I was reading reports that people could not swim at all at the Playacar beach due to a few feet of chopped seaweed at the water edge and tons of it being washed to a shore and started to rot there. Luckily it only lasted for about a week and a big storm before they arrived took care of it. Someone reported seen it in the big quantities at the IB Grand recently. But it is rather rare, when in PM area it is a norm.

I agree with Sportsmom that in Akumal/Puerto Aventuras area (Grand Palladium, Barcelo, Catalonia Royal Tulum, Akumal Beach resort etc) the water clarity is the best as there are few reefs in some distance from the beach that traps the floating debris.

pa
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Question about sea grass

How is the beach as far as seaweed around RPRM or RPM? Have stayed in Cancun but never Riviera Maya, so I am not sure of any of the resorts and beaches. Still trying to decide on a resort for April 2013. We love the beach. I have been thinking about these 2 Riu properties.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Question about sea grass

Please BE AWARE! There are also fishies in the water. Just sayin`.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Question about sea grass

Was at the GP (between PDC and Akumal) earlier this year and there were several days where there was tons of seaweed floating around (the detached floating stuff that sticks to you, holds garbage etc.) some days by lunch time the ocean would be completely clear again, others it lingered. When it was gone the water was a beautiful aqua marine. It didn't stop me swimming, I just picked areas with less weeds. But to show that oceans are unpredictable, that same week the year before, I didn't see any sea weed. If there is ocean, there could be seaweed / grass, and it changes with seasons, yearly, or if storms move through.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Question about sea grass

Have been to PM three times now, 11 nights at a time, varying times of the year, and have seen a SEA grass issue only about 2 days total... It was after a storm. Was ot aware PDC ad similar issues... What s te beach at fairmont mayakoba like??

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Question about sea grass

WTF is seagrass, as opposed to seaweed?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Question about sea grass

I didn't see much of it in Playa's waters when swimming, but it does pile up on shores, the beach cleaners do such a wonderful job of cleaning it up (picking by hand, they work hard too). And I've seem them dig huge deep holes on the beach... I'm guessing this is where they bury the stuff.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Question about sea grass

If it's a kind of seaweed - it makes great fertilizer!

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
969 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Question about sea grass

Just returned from PDC. Didn't see a bit of vegetation in the water or on shore for six days. In fact, it was the best we've ever seen the beach!

Quite bit of seaweed floated in on Thursday but the resorts cleaned it up quickly.