We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
Save Topic
The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

There have been a lot of rumors swirling regarding the sale of alcohol this coming weekend due to the statewide election and "dry laws" that situation normally triggers. Now we have an announcement on the subject from the Secretaria de Hacienda (basically the tax authority) of the State of Quintana Roo that appeared in this morning's edition of the state-wide newspaper Por Esto. Here we go!

THE RULE

The sale of alcohol is strictly prohibited from 7:30 am, Saturday, February 5th to midnight, Sunday, February 6th (= Superbowl Sunday).

THE EXCEPTION

The above does not apply to restaurants of hotels serving either domestic or international tourism and who are licensed to sell alcohol with food.

So the above is to say that Playa Maya or Blue Parrott or Treetops or your all-inclusive will be able to sell/serve alcohol in the usual way, but no other bars, clubs, restaurants or stores will be able to sell/serve alcohol during that approximately 40-hour period regardless of their location in or outside what might be called the tourist zone, whether the customer in question is Mexican or a foreigner. (Indeed, even our local Superior distributor has informed us in advance that there will be no deliveries on Saturday.)

Hope this helps! We'll inform you if we hear more...

Steve

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

Sorry, that should have said the real WORD!

Steve

midwest
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

Your assesment of the law you state makes no sense to me (but I might not have a complete understanding of what is meant by "serving tourism")

"The above does not apply to restaurants of hotels serving either domestic or international tourism and who are licensed to sell alcohol with food."

This sounds like even the smaller bars, clubs or restaurants on the beach in Playa Del Carmen would be fine selling alcohol. They are obviously serving domestic and international tourism and they serve food.

Tell me what I'm missing.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

restaurants OF HOTELS...not just restaurants/bars

Must be located with in the hotel and its property

midwest
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The REAL world on alcohol and Superbowl Sunday

oh, right.

I guess I read that as Restaurants OR hotels.

that clears it up.

I liked my interpretation of it better, though.

the good thing is that I'm coming on Sunday. It is legal to bring up to 3 liters of alcohol per person.

That should do me okay.