We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency - GBP or USD

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Currency - GBP or USD

I am going to Playcar in a couple of weeks. Is it easier to change GBP or USD. Thanks in advance for you comments

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency - GBP or USD

us dollars are widely used but you will get change in peso also you will get a poorer exchange rate.i use mexican peso i think it is only polite to use the currency of the place you are visiting.if you tip it is harder for the mexicans to change dollars. you will find exchange booths all over but rates do vary so be careful.also credit cards are widely used.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency - GBP or USD

Thanks for reply. I agree about being polite and using their currency, but I do not want to take too much and not be able to change it back when returning to UK. I intend to take pesos but as a back up I did not know whether to take USD or GBP.

3. Re: Currency - GBP or USD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 pm, June 12, 2006
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency - GBP or USD

I took both US$ and Pesos but found things cheaper if I paid in Pesos. $48 each is required on departure from airport (sorry, don't know the equivalanet in Pesos).