We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

I posted last night asking about several resorts in Playa del Carmen, but after reading more posts and reviews on TA I'm completely confused about what would be the best option for us, so I'm starting from scratch and coming to all of you first.

Info about what we're looking for is below. Please recommend a resort or resorts (specific explanations about your picks would be great)!

1. We want an all-inclusive that isn't too far from downtown PDC

2. It will be four adults and one 13 year old

3. Good beach (not rocky or shady)

4. Nice pool area with a good atmosphere (music and activities)

5. Decent shows at night if possible

6. We're not looking for a top of the line resort because we're on a budget

Thank you in advance!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

My vote: The Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. It ticks everything on your list!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,629 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

I agree with Spotsmom..................Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal...

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

Spotsmom & Eden - What about the thread below about the pool area at the Tucan having little to no music and a really relaxed atmosphere? We definitely want to relax during our vacation, but we also want to have fun.

Edited: 5:55 pm, March 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

There are so many to chose from SO in order to prevent your getting another long list of potential resorts, which will surely leave you confused again, I think you need to tell us HOW FAR from town is acceptable to you.

The distance to town may be the factor that will end up making up your mind.....some hotels like the Gran Proto Real are IN town, others are anywhere between a $5 - $25 plus cab ride away (one direction).

As for the price - none of us can really respond to that because depending on where you are coming from, travel time, prices can vary greatly.

The best we can do to help is to provide you a list of hotels that will fill your needs and then you wll have to do the price research on your end.

Unfortunately your list of "wants" is still too generic and will surely result in a long list of resorts.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

The Tucan has a huge pool. The area near the ocean has music and games - a lively spot. The areas in the back are more quiet. When I was at the Tucan, it wasn't a relaxed place - it was in August and the place was very lively with families from all over the world vacationing.

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

smittygirl - We want no more than a 5-10 minute cab ride from downtown PDC. Our price point is around the average cost of RIU Playacar and Iberostar Tucan.

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

spotsmom - Thanks! Another question... what's the difference between the Tucan and Quetzal?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

Riu Playacar best beach! can walk to town and cab back for $7

Nice, friendly small resort, but can play over at the Riu Yucatan or Tequila if you want some variety! Food is excellent! We are headed back for our second stay in 2 weeks! My teens requested Riu Playacar! Have Fun!

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

monkeyfunky - How far are RIU Yucatan and RIU Tequila from RIU Playacar?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Totally confused now, so starting over with a clean slate...

They are very close. Riu Yucatan is a short walk past the palace and the Tequila is across the street! All very close to one another! We did not go check out the Riu Lupita, which is farther. You can google it and get a map of the resorts. We walked into Playa Del Carmen one day. You can walk safely on a nice sidewalk, or take the beach. It is in a gated community. We love the Riu's! We even stayed in a Riu in Puerta Vallarta which was nice also.