We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay??

My boyfriend and I (25)are planning a trip to the Mayan for the first week of May and would appreciate any feedback people could offer on what resort to stay at. Things that we are looking for in a resort include:

Well cared for beaches with a large variety of water activities. (catamaran, pedal boat, snorkeling etc.) Preferably beaches that are not overly rocky or murky. We are Beach peeople not pool people.

Opportunity to go on excursions and leave the resort to shop and experience non resort culture.

Well maintianed, clean, spacious rooms, with a full bathroom.

A variety of a la carte options (3 or more)

Good nightly and daytime entertainment activities, we are not huge party people but we also don't like to go to bed at 9pm.

Any suggestions on some good resorts would be much appreciated

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay??

beach bum - I recommend the Riu Palace Mexico. It has all that you are looking for. Plus with a stay at the RPM you have privileges at the other 5 area Rius, but only those staying at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya have access to your resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the suggestion PennyPenguin. I am reseraching the resort right now...

Looking at the pictures the actual resort seems pretty basic. What are the other RIU resorts that you can accesslike any idea?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay??

oopp I was looking at the RIU Palace Maya... the RIU Palace Mexico seems a little more lively.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay??

My only experience in Playa is the Tucan but 6 of us adults loved it. Nice beach, jungle atmosphere and a disco that got going around 10 nightly. There were 4 a la carte restaurants with the Japanese being the best in our opinions followed by the Mexican.

Friday Harbor, WA
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay??

Beach Bum1180:

Opportunity to go on excursions and leave the resort to shop and experience non resort culture:

I recommed you go visit the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

I just got back from the Mayan Riviera and went on a tour with Community Tours Sian Ka'an. Great boat tours, in a beautiful natural and cultural setting, to Muyil and Punta Allen, whatever suits your fancy.

www.siankaantours.org

Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the info on the biosphere. The tours look amazing. That will definately be a must see on our list when we go!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the info on the biosphere. The tours look amazing. That will definately be a must see on our list when we go!!

central Calif
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay??

Beach Bum I agree with Lovestovacation the Tucan is wonderful. It has all the things you are looking for.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks Lovestovacation and Thorne I will be sure to check out the Tucan.