We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
7 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

I just got back from a vacation visiting the Mayan Riveria. I stayed at an all-inclusive resort. My second such experience.

My travel arrangement clearly states that Gratuities are included in my package, so I shouldn't be compelled to tip at all right or wrong?

The thing that really bothers me is the perpetuation of the myth that workers get paid $6 USD a day. This may be true in some parts of Mexico, or some agricultural season jobs, but this is a complete and utter lie to tell to tourists that really bothers me. There's NO WAY resort workers or tour guides in the tourist zone are getting paid that wage.

My tour guide told me the $6 wage story and so did the shuttle driver

I tipped my maid, some groundskeepers and sweepers, but there's no way the servers, bartenders, bus drivers or tour guides are that destitude.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

"I tipped my maid, some groundskeepers and sweepers, but there's no way the servers, bartenders, bus drivers or tour guides are that destitude."

How can you know what their wage is?

FWIW, I don't tip because someone is destitute - that's charity and whilst I'm all for it, that's a whole different thing to tipping, IMHO. I tip because someone employed in the service industry provides me with good service. If they provide me with exemplary service, I'll tip more than usual; if they provide mediocre service, then I don't tip them at all.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

Oops, meant to add:

On the assumption I'm not the only person who tips for good service, it's easy to see how a service person, e.g. a bartender, could make a pretty good living off tips but still be paid minimum wage. I don't think that makes said bartender any less deserving of my tip if they're providing tip-worthy service.

glas scotland
Level Contributor
870 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

we always tip, maids, bars staff, front desk , bell boys if they provide us with a good service we tip, whether they are paid 6$ a day or not, we always stay AI they all say tips included, but i respect how hard the staff work and the long hours, i fell better when i tip.

ma
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

I have always wrestled with this topic. The price of gratuities is included in the cost of the trip. For that reason, I usually do not tip. I understand that people may be inclined to tip for good service but shouldn't the service be good regardless whether you tip or not especially if it is included in the price?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

I don't see why you call it "Misinformation" t-rex, the AI package says tips included and they are.

No misinformation there.

Now if others (obviously not you) wish to reward service with an extra buck or two, that does not mean that there was misinformation given by the AI about tipping being included.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

I agree, no Misinformation was given. Supposedly tips are included. Whether the resort gives them to their staff or not is not the issue. The issue is do you tip normally for good service or not? I treat the staff at an AI the same as I would treat the staff anywhere else. I tip when I feel that I have been given good service.

We have talked to locals all over Mexico and they are not paid well no matter where they work or what they do. We have heard that some of the AI's pay better than others. I have found that the service people at the resorts in Mexico work very hard and do so without expecting to be tipped. JMHO.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

We Tip for good service. Especially in the al la carts. They do not seem to expect a tip & are very grateful. If the service is not there we do not tip.

On another note we always take, hats, candy and other items down for the grounds crew. They do work very hard & rarely get a tip. Even the crew cleaning the beach in the early morning, we usually take down a few bags of candy & they share it amongst the others. : )

We feel that some of the bartenders & maid service are getting to the point of expecting a tip whether they do a good job or not. Some get annoyed if you don't, thats where we draw the line and move onto another bar.

Honestly its a personal preference, if you have a problem with tipping then don't , there are lot of clients that do not tip at all.

Just sayin!

Happy Travels!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

op said "The thing that really bothers me is the perpetuation of the myth that workers get paid $6 USD a day"

I donno...

wageindicator.org/main/minimum-wages/mexico

Maid gets 76 peso's a day min wage.

I guess thats just starting, but to me thats a pretty low wage

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

It is fact that waitstaff and bartenders get less than 7 USD a day not a myth. They make up a decent wage on tips. AIs with less tips may pay more as a salary.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive Resorts - Tipping Misinformation....

Waiters, bell boys etc here are all paid and we tip. Do you not tip at home? There's nothing that says you have to when you go out to a restaurant or stay in hotel with service. There's no obligation. What's the difference in Mexico? Would you feel awkward at home if you didn't but don't when you are in Mexico?

I have a feeling that you are looking for justification not to tip, like it is all inclusive, they are paid enough, only tip the destitute.... If you don't want to tip, don't. If you do, then do. I personally am not going to make you feel better if you don't.

One thing you do have to watch out for is tips included on the restaurant bill. Just check it before you pay if you eat out.