We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Halifax, N.S.
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Hello,

I know this question has been addressed somewhat on the board, but i'm chewing my fingernails because I'm making decisions for two families. We're staying at Rio Tequila and am tempted to go to Xcaret because it is so much closer. But I love to snorkle and Xel-Ha looks like the better park. Guess I'm just wondering about opinions if the extra travel is worth the trip, or I'm better off staying close. We really don't have time for both, so i really have to pick one. Thanks so much for your time.

mln
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

We went to Xel-Ha and had the best time for snorkeling....coudn't tell you the difference, since we didn't go to Xcaret. But, we would definitely go back to Xel-Ha and spend the whole day there. What a great park....snorkeling, tubing, sunning, swiming with the dophins. and having good food.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Got to Xel-ha. I understand they have fabulous snorkeling. Been to Xcaret and it's great but for other reasons than snorkeling alone.

Lake orion, MI
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Having just returned from the riu tequila Friday, and having gone to both Xel-Ha and Xcaret, I may be able to help you on this.

If you have young children or older adults, Xcaret is the choice for you. There are all kinds of animals, birds, flowers, things to climb on, a beach, a boat ride, as well as swimming and snorkling.

Xel-Ha is fabulous for older kids and athletic adults...good snorkling, tubing, cliff jumping, rock wall climbing, a rope to walk across (more challenging than it may look). We swam with the dolphins here, and the dolphins actually "sang" happy birthday to my 14 year old nephew (who had a great time at this park!)

It is much cheaper to purchase your tickets on-line, from home or your hotel, than to pay at the gate ($45 vs $56 for all-inclusive, a significant savings when there are 25 of us!)...and we took taxi's so we could come and go as we pleased, without stopping at a bunch of other hotels along the way. It takes 40 minutes to get to Xel-Ha and cost $35 flat fee (4 people in a taxi)..which works out to be cheaper than the group tour.

Hope you have a great time whichever place you go!

Halifax, N.S.
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Thanks so much for all your advice folks. Would really like to go to both, but with one week and a trip to the ruins also, not much time to lounge around left. Xcaret sounds more convient and fun, but Xel-ha sounds too good to miss. Thanks again. Any thoughts about good places to snorkel for free during the rest of the week near the Riu Tequila?