We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Playa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
PA
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
Save Topic
One day in Playa

I've been to Cancun plenty times, but never made it to Playa; except for a tour at Royal Hacienda... We plan on taking a one-day trip to lay on beach..Where would be the best area to be dropped? Is the beach a walking beach? Are there places to dine and have a beer on beach? Thx...

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Playa

I would recomend going to Playa Maya on the beach between 6th and 8th. You will probably have to rent a couple lounge chairs at most places on the beach. Playa Maya has great food(coconut shrimp is best in the world) and drinks. Also inexpensive massages in that area on the beach. You are only one block from 5th ave. You can walk the beaches in both directions forever and you options of food, drinks and entertainment are limitless.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Playa

One day in Playa and you, most likely, won't want to go back to Cancun.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Playa

I would plan on walking the 5th Ave. in the morning as it gets pretty hot in the afternoon. Have lunch at any of the beach restaurants. Take a swim. Perhaps take awalk around Playacar just north-interesting villas and also a small ruin to look at.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Playa

There are numerous public bars, restaurants and beach clubs in Playa del Carmen. Strolling the beach is the number 1 activity during the day. Strolling the pedestrian only 5th Avenue is the number 1 activity during the evening. Same beautiful beach but some beach clubs have music, some padded chairs, many offer umbrellas. Some charge per chair and others let you stay free if you order a minimum of food or drinks. The beach is free to all so you can bring a beach towel and lay on the sand. It's that soft white sand that doesn't burn the bottom of your feet, but makes it hard to walk in unless barefoot.

Wicky's, Zenzi's, the Fusion Hotel, Coco Maya's, Indigo's, Kool's, Mamita's and Canibal Royal are all popular beach clubs and all offer food and beach service. Hotel Playa Maya will rent chairs but only if their hotel guests have been accommodated, but you are always welcome there for dining.

Have your driver drop you off at the El Faro lighthouse at 10 Calle and the beach, and explore your options.

Two Rivers...
Level Contributor
358 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Playa

Once again, my vote is Playa Maya. They have an excellent restaurant right on the beach, fantastic Miami Vices and cold beer, lunch service at your chair or in the restaurant, and right in the middle of everything so great people watching. And I will reiterate what someone else said. We have been to Cancun, and it's great, but nothing beats PDC!

6. Re: One day in Playa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, November 26, 2012