We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

I just read a review from one who stayed in a 1 bedroom at the Mayan Palace in Playa. I thought the sofas were fold out couches. One of the reviews said they were not fold out and had to put the couches together. There is 5 of us. There is myself, my husband, daughter 24, son 22 and daughter 16. I was going to put my son on one fold out couch and my daughters on the other. I don't think my husband would be to happy if he had to sleep in the livingroom and my daughters and I took the big bed. Do they have rollaway beds?

Maybe some of the rooms have fold out couches and some don't. I would appreciate any help to ease my mind.

Thank you

Debe

NE South Dakota
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

We have not stayed in Playa but we stayed in the Mayan Palace sea garden in Mazatlan last year. The couches there are hard to describe-what they did was have a single mattress that rolled out from under the couch. We are planning to take 3 children with us next week to Playa and I think one will have to sleep on top of the couch and the other two will get to sleep on the roll out mattresses. It was basically a mattress on a plywood frame. I am hoping that is how they are made in Playa. :)

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,723 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

Debe...the couches have a roll out cushion under them that you are supposed to take out and put on top of the couch. We of course couldn't figure this out ourselves and slept on the roll out part the first night. It wasn't until the next night when we got turn down service from housekeeping that we realized how they were designed to be used. In theory you could sleep one on a couch, one on a roll away cushion and another on the put together cushion on the couch..HOWEVER...Mayan Palace says they allow 4 adults and 2 children(under 12)in the one bedroom unit. We could not get a reply to our e-mails or a call through to Mayan Palace to find out how strictly this is enforced so we went ahead and rented an additional unit. We were doing this all just before and right after the hurricane so we understand not getting through...we didn't want to risk paying their price at the door if they were strict about enforcing it. I will ask what they allow when I am there next week and let you know.

Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

MNhasSnow and Lovewarmwintertravel, Thank you for letting me know the situation. I wonder if I should bring a inflatable mattress just in case.

MNhasSnow, I hope you have a great time and I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Have a safe trip.

Debe

tm
Level Contributor
580 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

I was told that if you have a single room only two people can stay and a suite 4 adults and 2 children under 12 or a master suite which is the whole unit 6 adults and two children. they said there are no exception. We are owners and asked if 8 adults could stay in the unit but they said no. 12 years is still a child in my eyes..

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,723 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

Just returned from Mayan Palace and at check in they assumed we were putting all eight of our people into a 2 bedroom suite...didn't ask ages or anything...just how many people. They didn't realize we had another room (even though I had presented paper work for 3 rooms) until they were ready to send us to our rooms at which time I asked where the third room was located and then they realized we had one more room. I don't think they enforce the age limit...however we did arrive late (10 pm) and maybe they are less fussy in the evening? Although I would think the rushed time earlier in the day would have even less time for them to be particular about stuff? Anyway we had a great time. Every thing was beautiful..we lucked out and got a room in building one right by the pool...very important but I think we just lucked into it. Restaurant choices were a little limited but we went off site 4 days so we were fine. If it wasn't for all those damned Hawaiian Tropic girls hanging around all week it would have been perfect. The men in the group have a different perspective on that...go figure.. (The girls were there for a calendar competition and photo shoots and some video that plays on some tv station that my kids watch) Anyway...the vacation was great.

tm
Level Contributor
580 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

hi sounds like we were down there the same week. The weather was excellent.Didn't see to many guys turning their heads at the models, maybe a few teenagers!!We are owners and when we got down there they said they did not have our two bedroom suite available that we had requested. They offer us a one bedroom at the Grand or a one bedroom at the Golf Mayan (last building away from the pool)with a $500 credit. I think they would have found a two bedroom for us if we put up a stink. We didn't mind the walk. If we were older or had young kids it would have been a problem. Just wondering if other owners had the same problem. We are going to puerto vallarta in the Fall and just wondering which Mayan Palace is better the Nuevao Vallarta or the Puerto Vallarta. It seem most of the people were from Minnisota or North Dakota. The pool is fantacic large enough so it does not get crowded. We asked about the age limit in the room and were told 4adults and 2 kids under 12 and the two bedroom is 6 adults with 2 kids under 12. The sale rep said it didn't matter (she said we're a family of the Mayan)Anything to get us to upgrade. Overall the resort was nice. Went there to relax and that is what we did.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

I wonder if it's because you had a smaller number of people who could easily fit into a one bedroom? We are owners as well but this July will be our first time going to the Mayan in the Riviera. Last summer we went to Puerto Vallarta but stayed at the one in Nuevo. Actually, they upgraded us to the Grand. I have heard that between the two it depends on what you like to do as to which is better. The one in NV is more isolated. We really enjoyed it (we did have a rental car which gave us a lot of freedom). We had a fantastic time. The lobby at the Grand is unbelieveable.

tm
Level Contributor
580 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

We felt we got a good deal down sizing our room for $500 credit. We were not in our room much. Only thing it was the last building but that was our choise to take that one instead of the grand. When you took the Grand was the room smaller? They are all nice rooms. We saw the lobby in puerto vallarta and it is much nicer than Cancun also the one in Neuvo Vallarta is much nicer. I rather the west cost myself. find the area is much cleaner. Stayed at the Sea Garden in Mazatlan last year and thought it was very nice. I enjoy owning the time share. People complain about the maintance fee but if they had a summer home somewhere they will be paying much more for taxes alone. Our insurance on our Motor home is alot more than we pay for the maintance fee. I quess they aretrying to get us to upgrade to a Grand Mayan but I feel the other rooms are nice and they use the same facilities. Hope you have a good time in July Sure you will

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! sleeping arrangement at Mayan Palace!

The room at the Grand was the bedroom with the King and then the kitchen/couches in the living room. Plenty for the 3 of us. This year we are taking my sister and her family with us so we need the extra room. You are very right - many people do complain about the fees, but for us it forces us to take a vacation and we get to take someone along with us and they pay for half. Can't get any cheaper than that. Now in NV there are seperate pools for the Mayan and the Grand. If you stay at the Grand you have access to all - if at the Mayan you do not have access to the Grand (where the waterpark is). I have heard people who have been successful sneaking in, so not sure how much they inforce that. Right now we really wouldn't considering paying the cost to upgrade. Maybe sometime in the future. I can't wait to go - I'm looking forward to some humidity. It is so arid here.