We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Liverpool, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bed Bugs

Last year we stayed at the Grand Occidental Xcarat and we had the unfortunate experience of being bitten over a hundred times during a two night period. We are atempting to obtain a refund on our holiday, but the travel company are denying liability. We need to identify other people who have stayed at the hotel and suffered from bed bug bites. Can you please assist?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed Bugs

Are you sure they were bed bugs or maybe, which is often the case, sand fleas or ants? If the bites were all over your body then maybe you're right but if they were just on your lower legs then I'd say sand fleas. Seen it many times and had them myself one trip.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,134 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed Bugs

If they were indeed bedbugs I would definitely check my home (bed, mattress, other furniture, etc.) because if you were bitten so many times, that means there were many bedbugs. And so your chances of you having brought some home are excellent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed Bugs

I've been bitten about 30-odd times in one night before; why? A mosquito got in and got trapped in the bedding, not pleasant.

Unless you have evidence that you were bitten by bed bugs (such as pictures of them on the mattress), I can't see you getting a refund in all honesty, as you were in a tropical country and could have been bitten by any number of insects inc mosquitos. Also, you say this was over a 2 night period, which strikes me as stange; if bed bugs are an issue they're often an issue throughout a hotel, not just in isolated rooms, and if you weren't moved room, surely you'd have been bitten every night, not just 2 nights?

Also agree that you need to check your bedding, as if they were that bad, you could easily have brought them home.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed Bugs

My guess would be sand fleas, if you leave your beach bag on the bed or any clothing from the beach guaranteed that's what they were.

Or if the previous guest did they would still be there .I get eaten alive by them but they never touch my husband.

Edited: 12:41 pm, August 11, 2011
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed Bugs

They may well bite your husband, but, he may be one of the lucky ones who don't react.

I'm one of those. Once in a great while I'll actually see one bite me, can't feel it, doesn't leave a mark.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed Bugs

OP, let it go. Move on. There's no free lunch either.

Edited: 1:28 pm, August 11, 2011
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed Bugs

hahaha bellasogno !!! LOL

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed Bugs

LOL @ bellasogno....

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed Bugs

Watched Billy the Exterminator last night and he had a case of bed bugs in Miami. Man, what a disaster. Killed them with heat because the chemicals they used to use are no longer permitted. I was still itching for 2 hours after the show finished. And now I've started again just thinking about them. :-(

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed Bugs

Okay....I'll say it. I think this poster is trying to drum up some bad vibes for the Occidental and I doubt he even stayed there. I am getting so cynical as I get older.