We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

We are sad to report that as of yesterday John Gray announced that his restaurant in Playa was permanently closed. John said that he will continue to operate and be chef at his Puerto Morelos restaurant.

It is of course difficult to operate any business in Mexico, particularly in these tough economic times, and we know that John's attempt to run two restaurants in two locations (and act as chef in both) was extremely demanding. We wish him continued success in his original location.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

That is indeed very sad. I always eat at least once at his place in PDC when I am there. I will be looking forward to him being full time in PM though.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

Sorry to hear it. After many trips, we finally got a chance to try it out last time and we were very pleased.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

Bummer, big loss for Playa del Carmen.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

I heard this earlier today. Very sad!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

Very sad indeed but I will certainly make the trip to PM to enjoy his wonderful food!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

I'm so sorry to hear this, we ate at John Gray's in Playa just last week and had a fantastic birthday celebration meal. This is a big loss.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

So sad to hear this_ food was excellent last time guess will try and make it to the PM location next time around .

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

Laterals has taken over John's restaurant and so far so good. I was impressed with their Duck Confit, excellent service.

I heard he sold the PM restaurant but they bought his name, probably the same staff.

9. Re: John Gray's Playa restaurant closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 17, 2013