We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Planning a trip to PDC for the first week of September 2011. Everytime I think I find a great price at a great hotel, I read comments that the beach is covered in seaweed or the beach is "not that great".

So, anyone have any thoughts about a hotel (4 to 5 star) close to PDC with a great beach?

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

I would recommend Playa Maya. Perfectly located with a beautiful beach.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Maya
Playa Maya
675 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

I am not sure if you are looking for the hotel or an AI resort and if it has to be located in PDC or in Riviera Maya in general? It is the area between the Cancun and Tulum with PDC being a town at about half way mark between Cancun and Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
835 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Secrets Maroma Beach, Catalonia Playa Maroma or Maroma Resort and Spa all located on beautiful Maroma beach. These resorts are about a 25 minute cab ride to 5th Avenue.

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
8,729 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Look at any resort in Playacar. Beaches are beautiful and walking distance or short cab ride to 5th Ave.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
530 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

sandos playacar has a great beach -last resort on the strip in the upscale gated community-but the beach goes for miles past the resort...clean soft white sand-no rocks in the water---deep beach ---been there several times (will b there again in oct)... any questions just ask :) great AI resort-5 min taxi ride to 5th ave (or u can walk)...

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Give us a definition of a best beach - what do you do there - best for a walking, swimming, snorkeling, just sunbathing, the water color, the clarity, do you like it calm or wavy etc. The beaches are very different and when people say that the beach is the best they mean different things. You can not snorkel in Cancun or PDC for example, you almost can not swim at many places by Puerto Morelos (except the town itself) but the walks and the looks are good etc. Maroma beach already mentioned here is beautiful, you can walk for miles bare feet and it is all sand with very few people, good for the swimming but you can not snorkel there and the color is just blue, not really bright.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

If you're looking for an AI, Playacar Palace has a great beach...look at their webcam - webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-playa-del-carmen.… Great beach!

If you're looking for a small non AI hotel, Playa Maya and Playa Palms both have great beaches. Here's Playa Palms webcam - http://www.playa.info/webcam-playa-palms.html (it's stuck at the moment but should be back to real time tomorrow)

Normally, if there is seaweed that washes up during the night, (at any beach hotel, AI or non AI) you'll see people out raking it up early in the mornings.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
530 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
415 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Playa Palms Beach Hotel
1,048 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Thanks Olga62 for your explanation.

Sorry for being vague, to answer your question....we like sandy, clean beaches, with minimal interuptions by vendors; simply for sun-bathing and relaxing. We like to swim in the ocean so, calm waters would be preferrable. Colour of the water is not a big deal but clarity might be!

Toronto, ON, CANADA
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

Candylady401...thanks for the webcam links.

Most likely we're looking for an AI resort but nothing too colossal.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for best beach in Playa Del Carmen

I stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal in June and found their beach to be very clean. One morning, I did notice their grounds crew out raking the beach to pick up seaweed that came in overnight. I did walk the entire expanse of beach in Playacar and found the entire beach to be very free of seaweed. The beaches are 99.9% free of rock; the water is gentle and clear; the slope is gentle - you can walk quite a ways out into the water before the water will go over your shoulders.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Iberostar Quetzal...
5,319 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
530 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico