We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Windsor, California
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

My friend has sole custody of her son. She hasn't seen the ex in over 6 years, he doesn't see the boy and no support is given for his care. Is this going to be a problem getting into Mexico? She has the paperwork saying that she has sole legal and physical custody.

thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

If she has a court order granting her sole custody than thats good. Otherwise. you would need a signed and noterized copy from the other parent allowing her to legally take the child out of the country. I would check with your local US consulate to get the proper info, and the airline you are travelling with as many have different boarding requirements, even if the law is correct. I would go that route, then you will have the correct info.

Sorry, I see that you are from Canada. If you would check with Immigration Canada as well. The laws might be different. But if you stopping over in the USA to catch your flight to Mexico, then US law applies as well.

dankom@casitademaya.com

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

You must bring the original court order, do not bring a copy. Not sure how they do it in Canada but mine has a raised seal on it

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

Thanks to both of you. I was wondering about that. She has a copy. I'll pass on the info. By the way..we are in California! Lol..

thanks!!!

Cathy

south jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

I had the same problem here is just what I had to do if you have the court order fine as long as your names are the same (I do not have the same last name as my daughter ) then you will need birth certificate any papers with your name the same as your childs all with the raised seal they feel for that. I had to also have that court order notorized because the court order didn't have a raised seal so be careful about that. Good luck I hope everything goes smoothly

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

Sorry about that I thought the CA was for Canada, I figured Windsor Ontario!!! I hope you don't have any hassles. Have a great time.

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

Sorry about that I thought the CA was for Canada, I figured Windsor Ontario!!! I hope you don't have any hassles. Have a great time.

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

Nashville TN
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about child custody and travel to Mexico

Hi Cathy,

We are leaving next week, and my husband has two children from his first marriage and shares custody. I have read up on this extensively (as I don't want to be denied boarding) and as long as your friend has sole custody and the papers to prove this, she will have no problem. The same would be true if the other parent had passed away (though in that case a death certificate would be needed). With shared custody, or even if one half of a married couple is going to Mexico, the other parent has to sign a notarized permission form (I just wrote my own in our case) or risk not being able to go. Another FYI, my husband and I have a son together, and when he was born we weren't married (that made my grandmother soooo happy) and for that reason only my name is on his birth certificate. Until we have it changed with the county clerk's office, our little guy cannot travel out of the country with my husband alone since his name is not on the birth certificate, even if I gave him a notarized form. The most important thing is that all of your (and your friend's) papers have the raised seal on them, they do feel for it (strange but true). Hope this helps!