We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver BC
10 posts
Save Topic
GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

My husband and I along with our 16 year old daughter are going to the mayan r. this spring break (March 12th for a week)

Cannot decide between the Coba and Tropical. Both are quite new so there is only so much info. A little worried about the distance from the airport and sight seeing attractions.

Any comments about the beaches at each resort, food etc? I am trying to book this in the next day or so.

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

Here is a great website for information and lots of pictures of the Barcelo Maya Tropical. Go to the sticky post at the top of the discussion forum to see a detailed photo tour of the Tropical/Colonial resorts and you will even see a map of the resort at that site as well.

www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/home.html

Your 16 year old will love it. It is on one of the best beaches in the area with on site snorkeling, mini golf, 4 huge beautiful pools with swim up bars and lots of water/land activities included. There is a disco there as well and the evening theatre is very professional. We have been to Mexico quite a few times and to various islands in the Caribbean and this is the first resort where we have choosen to be repeat visitors.

The food is good and they are serving lobster one night, so if you like lobster go and enjoy. There are no towels games played at this resort as there are plenty of lounge chairs and shade especially round the pool areas. I understand getting a lounge chair and shade at the GP Pricipe Coba is difficult and there are towel games played there from what I have read, but I have not personally stayed there.

The bus ride from Cancun is about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and depends on how many stops at other hotels along the way, but the time goes fast as the tour operator points out things and you can get a beer on board the bus and is like a mini tour of the area to some extent. It is kind of neat to see the other resorts as they let off passengers.

No matter which resort you pick, I hope you have a wonderful family vacation. Either one would be good I think.

Vancouver BC
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

We decided on the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. We were a little worried because we aren't too sure of the distance to the water ... but we have spoken to a few people that have stayed at Akumal.

Our worry with the Barcelo Maya Tropical was that the Tropical opened very recently. I was told it had only been up and running for a little more than a month. A little too new possibly (finishing work, painting, etc.)

Thanks for the input though

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

rshields, have a great vacation. I don't think you can go wrong at either resort. Enjoy!

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

I would go with the Barcelo. It's on a great beach and it's much closer. My cousin absolutely loves this place!

I just returned from the Bahia Principe and wouldn't recommend it. It's sooo far. We had major issues with customer service as well. The Coba is not on the beach and it's very far from it, actually. You have to take a shuttle there. The property is gigantic and not to my liking.

I really think that you'll be happier with the Barcelo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GB Principe Coba vs Barcelo Maya Tropical

Its a five minute walk from the beach(Coba), some people just are not built for walking. Coba is a big resort but I highly recommend it, First class all the way.