We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Waterdown, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Hi all.

My wife and I leave this weekend but have not yet booked anything. We want good service/food/drinks (high quality spirits and wine) but also like a decent beach where one can at least walk for a while, a nice room with an oceanview and nice people. Our options currently are Royal service Junior suite at Paradisus Riviera Cancun, a Casita at EDR and a room at SERC. Would anyone be able/willing to help me reach a solution to my dilemma? Thank you so so much in advance.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

I'd go for Paradisus, great rooms, excellent service, you take a long walk along the beach into Puerto Morelos for a change of scenery, looks like you are spoilt for choices they are all good. Para and Secrets are both close enough to PM for a change of scenery. EDR is gorgeous but more isolated than the others.

Methuen, MA
Level Contributor
471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

I would go with SERC - it is top notch food and service, decent beach and absolutely beautiful and romantic.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Just out of curiosity...why are you waiting until the VERY last minute to book your accommodations? I could never do that...I am too much of a planner!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
576 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Secrets Capri without a doubt! We have been to Secrets Capri three times in the past year and are booked for May of this year. Just putting this out there to let you know we have a little personal knowledge about Capri.

Everything you are looking for plus more. Of course this may depend on your age. Secrets Capri is more geared for the 30's and up crowd. Not a "party" type atmosphere, just total relaxation.

The beach is nice and you can walk south on the beach for as long as you care without crossing any other resort properties because there are NONE.

Best of luck in your choice, quite sure no matter what your choice is you'll enjoy your trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Check out the Barcelo Maya resort. There are some great deals now with the 2 new resorts the Barcelo Maya Colonial/Tropical. It is on one of the best beaches in the area with on site snorkeling. If you want good information or see some recent pictures of these resorts check out this website.

www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/home.html

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Komplicator- We will be at SERC starting this weekend and have been reading these forums for quite some time. If you choose to go to SERC make sure to get in the Excellence Club otherwise it sounds like you will not have an oceanview room. I admire your ability to wait until the last minute to decide on where to go... suspenseful. Are last minute rates significantly lower??? If you choose SERC, I hope to run into you and have a drink for all of our cold friends back home. Good Luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

beachbumaz

No kidding . It would drive me crazy not having everything worked out and booked in advance .

I booked in October during while hurricane Wilma was still heading towards Mexico but Iknew if I waited I wouldn't get what I wanted .

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Komplicator, Please keep us informed as to whether you actually got a room and how much you paid for it. I too couldn't imagine waiting until the VERY last minute. No wonder you are panick stricken. Sounds a little crazy to me.

manchester new...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

guyfromtheberg - I will be there starting this weekend - what is the excellents club?

Waterdown, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Panick stricken! Need to make a decision ASAP as we leave...

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. As a fellow type A, somewhat anally retentive faithful reader of the reviews and forums of this great website, I too have difficulty understanding why we waited this long. Let's just say it's a mixture of being too busy at work, procrastination and wanting to find out just what kind of deals going last minute will get you. I was also thinking of the Royal Porto Real a few weeks back and had to go back to the drawing board when it filled up.

We have decided to go to EDR based on price, availability and reviews. Our next trip in the fall will likely be to one of the Secrets (likely Capri) or Royal Hideaway. As a reference, the price for our AI Casita at EDR came up to roughly $2,200 CDN per person (as of today's range - roughly $1,920 USD). It's actually better than any price we could have gotten the few weeks before... that being said, by the time we booked, SERC was all full. Paradisus actually some good deals as well with free royal service upgrades,etc.

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions. I'll keep you posted as to how the trip was. At present, all I know is that I need a holiday from the holiday shopping!