We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

I heard the Mosquitos were terrible in Playa Del Carmen, is this year round?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

From what I've heard there are hardly any during the "winter" months. I think they are more abundant during the humid weather in the spring and summer.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

I was completely eaten ALIVE in Dec!! They snuck in to our room at night and they were crazy! The bites would swell up on me and it was aweful! One night I was bitten on my upper lip. Unbelievable! Looked like I had some kind of plastic surgery. I didn't bring my bug spray that trip, I'll never do that again. However, I've never had a mosquito problem on other trips, this was the first time. Also, the sand fleas (?) were pretty bad, but hubby never noticed them. I think some people are just affected by it more than others. However, just pack the bug spray and you should be OK!

Amherst, OH
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

We were there last Feb. and never noticed the mosquitos. Even took a jeep into the jungle and was never bothered. But we did take our bug spray "just in case". A co-worker of mine just came back from Cozumel and has some sort of bites all over her legs.

Kimberly, WI
Level Contributor
351 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

we were there mid feb last year....never used the spray.

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

Not that you need to hear it again. But We have never used bug spray all the times we have gone. We always go in February. My husband is a mosquito magnet at home and was not bothered once.

scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos in Feb/Mar?

going to one of the rius in playa del carmen (a.o.a.) on 25th feb -11th mar.can anyone tell me what weather to expect will we need jackets?