We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

My husband and I are going to the Grand Sunset Princess Resort in Playa Del Carmen from the end of August until first week in September? How is the weather then? Is there a lot of rain and thunderstorms? If so, does it ruin your whole vacation?

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

It is the rainy season but normally it rains in huge downpours and then quikly clears away to leave behind some very, very humid temps.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

read the weather link to your right

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

Well there can be huge downpours, no doubt. But I don't think they can be said to be what normally happens... What normally happens would be brief spring shower-like rain, rather less than a huge downpour, that ends after 10-15 mins. Then after another hour or so has passed there's often minimal sign left that it ever rained.

Even so, I remember seeing historical weather data that suggested that the area usually got 8-9 days with some type of rain during September, and that that was the worst month for that.

Steve

New York, NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

I was there labor day weekend 2009 and it was HOTTTTTTTTT we loved it. no rain!

ny
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

It is HOT,HOT,HOT, and humid as well:however, always wonderful. You should be a person who enjoys the sun and likes to spend time in the pool/ocean at this time of the year. Rain can happen at any time of the year.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

We have been to Grand Sunset Princess in August and we loved it :) We had a few short showers in the day but it was quite nice to cool things down. We actually had more rain when we went in Feb so go figure. Anyways great resort you will love it.

Michelle

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I was concerned there would be rain and storms everyday, but it sound like from most of the replies that if it does rain, it passes quickly. Regardless, I'm sure we will enjoy our stay (rain or shine).

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

You are in the best part of the Hurrican season

Make sure you have insurance

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

I did purchase insurance - just in case. Thanks for the advice.

massillon,ohio
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Playa Del Carmen in August/Sept

was in tulum last year for 10days in sept,i think it sprinkled once,it was nice and hot.