We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii or PDC Beaches

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii or PDC Beaches

How do they compare to each other? snorkeling, calmness and sand? We usually vacation on Kauai or Maui. We are trying the PDC area for the 1st time and will probably stay at RH and the Palladium. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Windsor, CA
Level Contributor
443 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

We usually go to Hawaii as well, but are excited to try PDC. I have been to Jamaica and the snorkeling was awesome. I bet the snorkeling will be just as beautiful here!

Have fun!

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

Hi Seattle -

Been to Maui on one occasion and Cancun/Playa several times.

Honestly, my preference leans toward Mexico. Part of it is the

vast difference in travel time for me, although for you that is

likely about equal.

I DO prefer the Mexico beaches - sand is just hard to compare to anywhere else I've been. But the main difference between the

two, in my opinion, is the absolutely GORGEOUS water in Mexico.

Good luck with your decision.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

Thank you for your input. Travel time is about 5 hours longer to PDC...no problem though. Think we are sold on PDC for a change. Never have been to an AI before so that sounds right up my street for a change. Thanks again.

Ivins, UT
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

Seattle,

We had the very same question about a month ago, along with Jamaica...noone ever replied, so we ended up choosing Mexico, and we are staying at the Royal Hideaway after MUCH debating and struggling (the planning is probably going to be just as much fun as the trip!) I heard that the waters are very calm at the top of the "7" in Cancun, and there is a resort there that looks fabulous, the Riu Palace Las Americanas, I believe. We considered it for about a day, but then I read that the beaches are sooo much more beautiful in PDC, and the water at the RH is supposed to be wonderful! I'm going to go check out the Palladium and see what we're missing now....

p.s. we've never been to Hawaii; we were looking at Kauai before we decided on PDC. It seems like you get more for your money in Mexico. When you get back from PDC, would you mind posting a comparison of the two? thanks!

Rockett TX
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

I have always enjoyed the international flare in Playa over Hawaii.

Olympia Wa
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

If you go to PDC you need to try the snorkeling at Cozumel. Take the ferry across and there are several boats waiting to take you out. You can get a better deal directly from the Cozumel side then from the PDC side. Have fun it is beautiful

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

Nothing like the good ol' USA!

Windsor, CA
Level Contributor
443 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii or PDC Beaches

I think both areas are probably great. In the Caribbean the water is calmer, more flat and seems more aqua in color. Hawaii is also so beautiful, but more waves and maybe more blue in color. It may be easier to see the bold fish colors in the Caribbean, but can't say for sure. I love the Caribbean, but Hawaii is like a second home to me, so it is so hard to compare. Being that I haven't been to PDC yet, it will be so neat to see what it is like!