We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

Was just wondering if any one has gotten Hep A from any of the resorts they have been to. There was much discussion about Hep A shots before going to visit for a week and I am a bit concerned. So any input would be great from someone with first hand experience. Or lack there of. Thanks in advance.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

Don't give it another thought! That's ridiculous!! I saw the discussions also....really, don't worry!

Milwaukee,WI
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

Never gotten Hep A , been to Mexico twice and the Dominican once

Rockett TX
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

I did hear of a couple of guys catching a nasty STD down there once.

Milwaukee,WI
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

haha...hmm I wonder why?!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
308 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

I can't speak to the concerns that sparked the original discussion or post, but in the fall of 2003 here in PA there was a widespead and well-publicized outbreak of Hep-A linked to imported Mexican green onions at a restaurant chain that infected hundreds of patrons.

It's my understanding this is an extremely rare occurence given the many checks regarding our food safety here in the USA, but I don't know if the same procedures and laws are in effect in other countries.

A link to the FDA article on the 2003 outbreak is here: fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2003/ANS01262.html

Another article from NATAP about the outbreak is here: http://www.natap.org/2003/nov/113003_3.htm

I can only recommend that you have an in-depth discussion with your doctor, especially if you're traveling with a pre-existing medical condition or a compromised immune system.

This is advice I would give you whether you were planning to travel to Mexico or Michigan or Montreal; forewarned is forearmed! Take care.

Essex,united kingdom
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

you have to have the vacine if you travel from the uk!

Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

There is nothing wrong thinking about getting the Hep A shots, and talking with your doctors. If you feel comfortable doing so, it is not a ridiculous thought.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

My husband and I are going to the Iberostar Parisio Maya Feb20 and started our shotstoday. The Dr. said it wasn't really important but, it couldn't hurt. It's a 21 day cycle of 3 needles so if yor planning on it and going soon you should probably check into it.

Rockett TX
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

Our personal doctor here in Texas ALWAYS perscribes antibiotics a few days before we go. We eat and drink everything in site with no problems. We have been doing this for years.

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hep. A- ANyone Get it from Resort in Riviera Maya

Keep in mind that the staff at most resorts and the "locals" do not have the same medical attention that you have...

When it comes to your health think twice before making any decision...

Be smart...