We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
9 posts
Save Topic
mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

I've read some people complaining about mosquitoes? anyone had a bad experience? I don't necessarily want to wear my bug repellent on top of my sunscreen...

Any thoughts?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

I didn't go in April I went in June but I can say my daughter and I never left the room without bug spray on. We had bites from head to toe (my daughter actually looked like she had the chicken pox) My husband and son on the other hand didn't get 3 bites the entire week. We weren't the only family that experienced this. Many others were saying how 1 or more in the family didn't have a bite on them and others in the family were covered. Can't explain it since we were all at the same places. My daughter and I have allergies (cats, dogs, hayfever etc) and my husband and son don't. Maybe that had something to do with it???

IMHO I would bring the bug spray and hope that you are one of the lucky ones.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

we've been in april & june and the only time we had prblems with mosquitos was in june. they were terrible at night.

it also depends on which resort you are at. resorts set in a lot of jungle will usually have a bigger mosquito problem.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

We were there 2 years ago in April and never had a problem with mosquitoes at all. We stayed at the IB Paraiso Beach and even in the jungle areas there weren't any. I think it depends on how much rain they've had around the time you are travelling as the water sits for a long time in the mango swamps.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

Sorry, that's mangrove swamps.

toronto
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

thanks for the quick responses folks. I guess it's better to be safe and bring some, I can only imagine the cost down south. hopefully we're one of the lucky ones yes.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoe problem in PDC in April?

We have gone the past 5 years in April and in July. Never had a problem with getting bit in April but definiately at dusk in July. We would take a shower after at day at the beach and then put bug repellant on....