We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum or Chichen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Tulum or Chichen Itza

I will probably only do one or the other depending on how much money I have for excursians. Time is of no option it does not matter if I have to travel for long periods of the day.

What I am most concerned about is which site has more of a historical relovence and can be explored more. In other words are you able to walk among the ruins unrestricted or can you only observe from a far? I practice photography as a part time job/hobby and I am interested in going to one of the sites to take alot of interesting pictures and interact with the site.

Open to suggestions and thanks in advance for your opinions.

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Cichen Itza is more interesting architecturally and historically. Tulum's pyramids are less interesting but it has great view of the beach that most people say is alone worth the trip. If time is of no concern, I don't see why you wouldn't do both.

Scotland
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

You may also want to consider Coba which is the highest pyramid in the state and the only one (I think!) that you can still climb. Hows that for interaction?!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

dont recall any pyramids at tulum. they are very different. tulum is a smaller site built as a fort, the only known maya fort and is set up high on a bluff over the ocean. wear your swim suit if you go to tulum and go swimming from the fabulous beach. CI is a larger more typical maya city.

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

You should consider Ek Balam, it's one of the most recently discovered site and will provide you with nice pictures. You'll be able to climb the pyramid and take nice pictures of the carvings in the temple.

We went to Ek Balam with Joyas Mayas Travel and they were really great. We were 10 of us, with a chauffeur and a guide in a private mini-bus. We stopped in Valladolid, in a small farm for a private lunch and at a Cenote. They also offer the option of doing Ek Balam and Chichen Itza.

Washington
Level Contributor
300 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Thank-you Paul,

They have the exact tour I have been looking for at the most reasonable price.

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Thanks for the imput but now I want to go to all of them!! Ek Balam and coba look very interesting as well! I will have to start doing some research and see if I can find some deals on doing two excursions if possible.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Here is a link (page 3) to a trip to Chichen Itza, nice pictures. Now don't let these two foodies distract you from your homework.

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/54752-mexi…

This is another link to Chichen Itza, you have to scroll down about 3/4 of page 5 and then it continues on to page 6. By the way, Mitch at Yucatreks would be a good choice for a guide to Chichen Itza.

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/58820-rivi…

This is a link to a trip to Tulum Ruins.

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/58897-my-m…

Edited: 9:54 pm, January 04, 2011
right there
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
8. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

I've only been to Tulum but it's soo much closer to PDC and the view was stunning. It also got a little warm that day and it was so great to be able to take a dip and cool off with the ocean right there.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

You could easily do Tulum and Coba in one day. There is also a Mayan Village at Coba that you may find interesting as well.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
47 reviews
10. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

I've been to both Tulum and Coba and loved them both. Visiting both in one day is a fabulous idea! In both places you should be able to get some amazing pictures with very few restrictions. Chichen Itza is on my bucket list and looks like a great tour but I did love climbing the pyramid at Coba which you can no longer do at Chichen Itza.

Enjoy! :)

Edited: 10:13 pm, January 04, 2011