We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IB Maya... reviews are very different

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
macomb, mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
IB Maya... reviews are very different

I am going to the IB Parasio Maya a week from today.. I Read the reviews often.. I should quit doing this since I am going no matter what.. I read one review where they say it is perfect, paradise and another review that says that there room was never cleaned and when they complained the housekeeper showed up at 130am to clean it.. It does seem like the people who leave tips everyday for the housekeepers get the best service, or am I wrong and sometimes you just get a bad housekeeper? As far as food goes, I will judge when I am there since it is a very subjective matter!!!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IB Maya... reviews are very different

We were just at the IB Del Mar which is the "lower end" of the IB Paraiso complex. All I can say is service was superb. Our room was cleaned as soon as we left for breakfast. Towel animals were left everyday. If we left a note requesting something, it was there when we returned. If we called the front desk for something, it was there within twenty minutes or so.

Food was not all great, but was fine.

I read some of the reviews and wonder if the people were even at the same resort I was!!

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IB Maya... reviews are very different

Don't worry , your vacation is what you make of it. Other than the fact that I got sick at the resort. The resort was beautiful, the rooms gorgeous. The maid service did come later, but who really cares. I wasn't in my room at 1:30. We did tip everyday and never had a "dirty" room.

The food was just your ordinary buffet style you get at any resort in Mexico. It gets boring day after day. The price we pay for VACATION> I will gladly be bored with my food in MExico than be at home in the winter in Wisconsin. Don't forget to ask about seafood night at the buffet. They have lobster and shrimp, which you can't miss.

I wish I was going in a week, have fun!!

Highland, MI
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IB Maya... reviews are very different

We just returned from the mmmMaya on Jan 7 and liked it so much we are going back at the end of Feb. We did leave a few dollars for the maids each day and our room was always clean with little towel animals and fresh flowers. The food is good, be sure to eat at the Japanese and the steakhouse ( skip the seafood as it was our only dissapointment). Have breskfast in the Marina restaurant near the lobby of the Maya, it is the best of all of them. The beach grill has really good burgers, the lobby bar in the Maya has the best drinks. Make all of your a la cart reservations the day you get there so you can have a good choice of dinners before they fill up. It is a great place with lots to do.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
756 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IB Maya... reviews are very different

We were at the Maya last May. Never had any issues with a dirty room (it was always made up by the time we got back--usually after 2:00pm--for our afternoon break), and we did not tip daily, just left a tip on our last day. The only problem that we did have was that the turndown service usually came around 6-6:30pm, when we happened to be napping after a long day in the sun. Had to run to the door naked twice to keep them from barging in on us. After that, we just put the do not disturb sign on the door whenever we were in our room during the late afternoon-early evening hours.

Food was good. Not outstanding, but we did find things that we liked at all but the seafood resturants. We especially enjoyed the Italian and Japanese (but one couple we met there did not like the Italian at all--so I guess it just depends on what you want, get, and are expecting of each place). Only ate the buffets at Breakfast and Lunch. The breakfast buffet in the Italian resturant (it is not an italian buffet) is fabulous--far more on offer than the two small buffets by the pools, but further away, so we only ate there on 2-3 mornings. I think they do a large lunch buffet as well, but we wanted to maximize pool/sun time so just grabbed a quick bite at the poolside buffets.