We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minneapolis
2 posts
Save Topic
Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

My husband and I are trying to plan a vacation for the end of April 2006 and have been looking at Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc...I keep getting mixed reviews. The really bad reviews seem to be from about a month ago. I was wondering if anyone has been there recently. Are the beaches ok? I was looking specifically at The Fiesta Americana Condesa...HELP! This will hopefully be our dream vacation!

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

ChapMasterK,

You may want to post this question on the Cancun forum instead of the Playa del Carmen Forum. I have heard that much of Cancun is still being repaired/rennovated and that the beaches are still not in the best of shape so you may want to get more info from people who have been there recently.

Regina,SK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

I was in both locations last week and PDC looks almost untouched. Some resorts had the palm trees with shorter frongs(sp?)(leaves) but other than that it was great. Cancun was a lot more bare and IMHO Playa is WAY better because there are less time share people, 5th ave is awesome whereas Cancun doesnt offer much off the resort that interested us. We had freinds in Cancun and they regretted not staying in PDC. Also, PDC is in the middle of Cancun and Places like Tulum(great view) and Xel-Ha and XCaret. Even if Cancun is 100% by April(which will be tough) I'd strongly suggest PDC. I have pics of PDC but not Cancun if you want them.

Minneapolis
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

Thank you katga and marmarmar for you replies. I think that helps me with my decision. PDC it is! Is there a hotel that you recommend? Looking for something that has a GREAT pool area/swim-up bar and a luxurious feel. Looking at something around $200.00 a night...

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

Hi ChapMasterK.

The Riu Palace is beautiful and luxurious. We have stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Adventura Spa Palace and Riu Palace. Riu is much more upscale although all these are great resorts. We are going this Feb. to the new Riu Palace Riviera Maya and am sure we will not be disappointed. Great travel sales on right now too!!!

CT
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

I was in PDC 08/05 2 weeks after Emily and it

was amazing how normal everything was. Check out Playa.info lots of pic there post hurrican. I have stayed in Cancun and PDC and vote for PDC. Stayed at Iberostar Lindo. I am looking at Iberostar Tucan in PDC for this summer. Tucan is closer to town in the Playacar area. Night life in town is much better than at the resort.

Have fun!

Yukon
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone have a first hand account of the post-Wilma...

Just returned from 7 glorious days on the Yucatan. Visited Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, Xpuhil and Cancun. DID NOT VISIT THE THE HOTEL ZONE IN CANCUN. The damage in the places I visited was negligible and certainly didn't interfere with our wonderful time. Talked to one Houston native about damage in the Zona Hoteleria, he seemed to think that it was about 10%, if his assessment is accurate then 90%of the places involved are unaffected. We stayed in riobecdreams with Rick and Diane, were interested in visiting some nearby ruins. Delightful hosts and a wonderful place to stay. Las ruinas de Becan kick A--. Also visited Xpuhil, Hormiquero, and Chicanna. Met such wonderful people throughout Yucatan. Ignacio our Cuban/Mexican taxi driver from Xpuhil, the town, was an incredible gentleman. Very understanding, and helpful. Ric and Diane of Riobec Dreams will always hold a very warm place in our hearts. Ric, Canadian, can somehow tolerate his delightful English Wife. Think wife in Green Acres. When you tire of lying on the beach, getting drunk, and ultimately bored, check out some of the restored ruins on the Yucatan. Chichenitza is easy and a must for visitors. There are many more. One person I talked to thanked me for being interested in his heritage and visiting various ruins. I explained to him that they were as much a part of my heritage as his, he agreed. This old backpacker hopes that he can make many more successful trips. Don't get me started on the delights of Playa.