We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
481 posts
49 reviews
AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

Have never been to Playa del Carmen and looking for suggestions.

We have stayed at resorts on Cancun's strip before, but are looking for something a little more quiet. We are not really interested in anything off of the resort as we are just looking for a place to relax and unwind. Searching for the last couple of days leads me to think that resorts with ocean view rooms in PdC are hard to find, and when you do they can be more expensive than what we are willing to pay.

Noticed that Now Jade offers an upgrade to Jr. St Ocean View room for around $120/week, but am concerned about their 72% rating here on TripAdvisor.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

I guess it really depends on what you are willing to spend but I looked into booking a ocean front privilege suite at Catalonia Playa Maroma (CPM) for our family of 4. I found it to be quite inexpensive (the regular privilege suites are even less expensive) It's not a 5 star AI resort but it's a nice 3.5-4 star AI w/ decent rooms & a spectacular beach. If you are not interested in being right in Playa since you don't want to venture off & you are looking for a phenomenal beach then checkout CPM. I usually use Bookit.com & their rates for CPM are pretty cheap compared to other resorts on Maroma's spectacular beach.

We were at Now Jade back when it was NH Riviera something or other last April (I did write a review) The beach was nice there but unless you book the preferred side I wouldn't bother, just my opinion. The resort was just ok for us. Hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

CPM is a very nice resort. It is probably a 4 star IMO but a bit smaller and you might be bored if you dont venture off the property. There is one pool but the food was really good as was the staff and the disco. So if you dont mind smaller this might be for you. Also, they offer a free shuttle into PDC twice a day, you just have to sign up for it ahead of time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
481 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

It is a big help and I thank you. CPM wasn't even on my radar screen, but after a quick look it sounds perfect except for the lack of a mini bar in the room. Bookit does not list Ocean Front rooms for our dates in early December. I will have to call them in the morning to see what is up.

Thanks

(BTW, I would have responded to you by name, but couldn't bring myself to type your username.)

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

There are two types of the rooms at the main part of the resort - standard rooms (basic rooms where there might be no minibar but they are clean and OK) and privilege rooms (the same sized renovated rooms with the minibar and flat screen TV). The ocean front suites are in the separated small villa right on the beach, the location is awesome - direct sea view 20 steps from the water - but there are only a few rooms in that villa and they are not listed on the most sites and sometimes they are just sold out so you do not see them then. They have them on their own web-site.

Another note to everyone who is considering this resort - I have heard that a free shuttle into PDC twice a day is going to be discontinued at the other Catalonia resorts, I am not sure about CPM, please inquire if this is important for you before you book, let us know here.

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

sandos playacar is where we stay..going for 7th time next tues...we always stay ocean front and love it there...best all inclusive food i've had, great staff and spotless rooms :) forgot to mention, we keep going back for the awesome beach as well... 5 days :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

Just so you know, the ocean front suites at CPM are about $100 extra a night, so that could bring the price up considerably, depending on how long you are staying. Also, there are only 4 suites (all in one building), so I'd make sure you contact the resort to see if they are available for your travel dates.

CPM had a beautiful beach and the resort was fine, but there are really no other ocean view rooms. There are six buildings, three on each side of a long walk way to/from lobby to beach. They are set up like courtyards and there is a lot of mature vegetation, so you really don't get to see the ocean from these rooms. But, if you are like us and spend most of you day at the beach, this really shouldn't matter.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
481 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

Being able to see the ocean from our balcony is a big deal for both of us. I could not find any ocean view rooms available at CPM.... too bad because it really does sound like a nice place to spend a relaxing week.

Most up graded rooms only promise "Pool/garden OR ocean view," which is not the guarantee we would be comfortable with. The cost for an upgrade can be crazy high, Occidental Grand Xcaret charges an extra $490 per night for an ocean view room. They are available for our travel dates in the first half of December, but I don't call that within reason.

We looked hard at Catalonia Riviera Maya, Blue Bay Grand, and Viva Wyndham Azteca. I just booked the V.W.A. because it seems to have most of the things we want and because it has a higher rating here on TA than the other 2.

A big thanks to all for your help.

Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
8. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

definitly as of Oct 31 the Catalonia Yucatan/Riveira Maya Shuttle will be discontinued. This resort is also a good choice, very high rating.. check both of them Catalonia Yucatan Beach adn Catalonia Riveira Maya on Trip advisor. they are side by side and you get to use the amenities on both.

this place may be what you want. we are flying on Sunday for 14 nights and we can't wait! now if Tropical Storm Richard can be a good weather system and just die off.. that would be perfect! lol...

9. Re: AI, good beach with ocean view rooms within reason

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 21, 2011