We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of plans: Help!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Change of plans: Help!

My husband and I have not yet been to Mexico. We have travelled to Cuba and the Dominican Republic for 2 week vacations for the past 8 years and for 7 years have booked with Iberostar resorts.

This year, after following reviews, we had our minds set on Iberostar Tucan, only to discover that the companies offering all inclusives out of Newfoundland are not offering the Tucan-Quetzal!

They do offer the Praisio, Lindo and Maya, but we wanted to be in closer proximity to Playa Del Carmen, which was part of what drew us to the Tucan.

We are not party people. We are early 50's who enjoy good food and drinks,clean rooms and surroundings, good service, long beach walks, shade on the beach, a gym, evening entertainment, and outings off the resort, and nice lush green gardening around the resort.

Any suggestions???

Betty

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of plans: Help!

Can you not book the hotel and airfare separately? Apple books all the Iberostars. The Paraiso complex is great but if it's not where you want to be, you might be better to book separately.

Edited: 5:19 pm, September 28, 2010
Palmer...
Level Contributor
165 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of plans: Help!

I am headed to Sandos Playacar at the end of this week I have stayed at Sandos and everything was great and I am approaching 50 myself. I have also stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and everything was great. Both resorts are in Playacar with very close proximity to Playa. There are so many great choices ~ have you tried Bookit.com or Vacmart.com? I have used them both with excellent results and prices.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of plans: Help!

Try the Riu chain...my husband and I are in the same age group and we love them. We are going to RIU Palace Riviera Maya next month. They do not have palapas on the beach but there are MANY palm trees....plenty of shade. It is also great that you can visit all the RIU resorts in the area as well as Cancun. The food is always consistantly good. Rooms are very nice and spacious. Awesome service! You will not be disappointed!

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of plans: Help!

My area has very limited choices. There are two companies only offering direct flights to Mexico: Transat and Nolitours and no I can't book flights separately. I can fly to Halifax or Toronto, adding extra days and cost to get better choices, which I am not prepared to do.

Flipflop12, I was looking at the Rius but the lack of palapas worries me. Can you lie there completely shaded?

Which Riu would you recommend?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of plans: Help!

I know that some will say that you can not get enough shade from the palm trees...but...I believe that you can from this resort because there are MANY palm trees planted very close together. Look at the traveler photos...you will see what I mean. I was there this past April with 2 other people that had to have shade. They had no problem finding it with the palm trees.

The resort I am speaking of is RIU Palace Riviera Maya. I have also stayed at the RIU Yucatan and RIU tequila. The RIU Palace Riviera Maya was the best fit for me.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of plans: Help!

The Paraiso property is excellent...there are 5 resorts in one massisve property.There is a golf course and great restaurants and lots of other stuff to do there. As for Playa it is a ten to 15 minute commute and when we stayed there they had a shuttle that left on the hour to playa del carmen. The Iberostar chain is awesome and we really loved it.

If you want another option for hotel chains there is also the Real chain..they have the Royal in Playa del Carmen as well as the Gran Porto in Playa del Carmen..both of these have awesome ammenities and also have all the specifications that you were looking for.We stayed at the Royal 2 years ago and are back again this year in January.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of plans: Help!

If I choose the Iberostar Lindo or Maya, How is the beach walking, ie can I walk for an hour or so and still be within resorts?

Betty

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of plans: Help!

Betty, check Expedia.ca. Your answer is there. Iberostar Tucan is available to you. Just think outside the box. You don't have to travel on a charter flight.

I used Orbitz last May for a trip to Mayan Riviera. I was pleased, no problems. I've read Expedia is also a good choice.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of plans: Help!

I had a similar situation, but slightly different. I wanted the Tucan/Quetzal Jr Suite Ocean Front room. The Tucan/Quetzal is offered from Ottawa, but no ones offers the jr Suites. I ended up booking my flight and hotel/tranportation separatly. And I did it thru an TA, in case you want that security. I'm booked with WestJet for my flight and Apple Vacations for the room (with transportation included). You will also end up saving money this way.

Note: Not all TA can or are willing to deal with US re-seller, if you can't find one, you can PM me.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of plans: Help!

Just to adress your "I can't book flight seperatly..." issue.

You might want to double check that. My TA was able to book a Transat flight and a room seperatly. The only reason I went with WestJet was because of better flight time.