We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Bahia Principe in April, anyone just get back with...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
going to Bahia Principe in April, anyone just get back with...

Which side is better to stay on? We are going with our three daughters, 17,14&13. Thanks for any help!

Boston
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Bahia Principe in April, anyone just get back with...

anyone?

Vancouver, BC Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Bahia Principe in April, anyone just get back with...

I was there with a group of 19 at the end of Aug and beginning of Sept last year and we stayed at Bahia Principe Akumal and had a fabulous time. Absolutely everyone had a great time. We are now planning our 2nd trip to Mayan Riviera this Aug/Sept again and this time it will be my wedding. I must say the Arlequin Restaurant had the best a la carte and the buffet was excellent. I was not sick of the buffet at all after eating it for a week. I stayed in Building 47 and that's closest to the pool, lobby, restaurants and beach. No need to bring towels, they have plenty. Take a taxi to Xel Ha its only $8 US and buy your ticket in advance online. www.xelha.com. You will be so relaxed you will forget everything by the time you return home.

calgary,ab
Level Contributor
183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Bahia Principe in April, anyone just get back with...

gfraz1964,

Both sides are pretty much the same, room, food. beverages, etc. One exception, there is a shuttle service between the two sides, on the Telum side you pass a sewage lift station and the odor is unmistakable.

There are buildings right beside the road and I would imagine the smell would be in the buildings closest to the road. I can't confirm that as we stayed on the Akumal side. After taking the shuttle back and forth you get to know when/where to expect it and hold your breath and watch the look on everybody else's face when you get in range of the odor.

Maybe some one who has stayed in one of these room on the Telum side can comment.

One comment on the room safe. GET ONE. We met people who were missing passports, money, etc. There are workers (painters, a/c repairs, etc) that are in rooms constaintly. We left a tip for our maid and she didn't get it. I'm prety sure the a/c guys did though as they were in the room before the maid.

Other than that, great hotel.

Enjoy.