We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

Looking for moderate priced AI with great beach and great pools.

I am aware that the Riu Tequila is not on the beach but has a shuttle to the Riu Yucatan's beach.

Taking two college aged daughters for a family trip and how is June in the Riviera Maya.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

I stayed at the Riu Yucatan last year - I think you will like the Tequilla. Both hotels have a great selection of food and the beach is wonderful. The rooms were also really beautiful and the mini-bar in the room (included - stocked daily with cokes, beer) was awesome! All of the staff we encountered were friendly and did everything they could to make our trip wonderful. The hotels are also a short walk from a pretty good "mall" - good selection of stores, great prices (not as good as in Playa but better than I'd expected).

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan a year ago and it was awesome. This coming year we are thinking of going to the Tequila, but only because it is usually cheaper and we will be taking our 7 year old. The resorts are right next to each other. The biggest disadvange to the Tequila would be that it is across the street from the beach. Both the Riu and Iberostar chains have great reputations. We stayed at a Riu resort in Punta Cana and it was very nice. I wasn't actually at the Riu Tequila but we walked by the front of it and I have read a lot of good reviews about it. The Iberostar Tucan, however, is also pretty hard to beat and I would definatly choose it if the prices were the same.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

Thanks for the replies.

Just priced the two with Apple and a $432 pp difference between the two so the decision may be made for me to chose the Riu Tequila as family of 4 and that would be a huge difference for us.

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

tinker1121, I suggest you take a look at the Barcelo Maya resort. It is a very good resort and good value for the dollar and has great pools with swim up bars and on one of the best beaches in the area with on site snorkeling. If you want good information, lots of pictures and even a map of the resort (even the new resort there) you will find it at the Unofficial Barcelo Maya website @

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

Here is another website for historical weather averages for each month for this area of Mexico.

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weatherall.php3…

It will give you an idea of what to expect in the way of temperatures, rainfall, humidity, etc.

Hope I have been of some help.

Whatever resort you pick have a wonderful vacation.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

Thanks Fly Girl. Hey, I think you helped me with my recent Aruba vacation over on the Aruba forums.

We were supposed to go to Cancun but Hurricane Wilma went instead. We switched to Aruba and just an ok vacation and determined to get to Mexico.

We had a vacation booked to Cozumel last year and US Air would not let my husband on the plane with his original PA birth certificate!

I will check out that hotel as beach and pools are a top priorty for us.

How do the locations compare in respect to Playa Del Carmen?

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

You are very welcome tinker1121. I am sorry you Aruba vacation was just OK. Mine was not the greatest either, but many on that forum dislike me saying anything negative about Aruba. Seems you must love Aruba over on that forum or you get harassed as I have been for saying other wise. I found Aruba to be too Americanized/commercialized and lacked culture and history compared to Mexico or other Caribbean islands.

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

"How do the locations compare in respect to Playa Del Carmen?"

I am not sure quite what you mean by that question, but the Barcelo Maya is about a 15 minute drive south of Playa del Carmen. I suggest you take a collectivo (ask about this very good and very reasonable mode of transportation) at the front desk. It costs about $1.50 U.S. each way into Play del Carmen and back. This area was damaged less by Wilma than the areas from Playa del Carmen north to Cancun.

maryland
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

To tinker 1121

We are going to the tucan in May! How are the drinks? and how is the beach?

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

Goingplaces, we did not go to Riviera Maya yet.

Planning a vacation for June.

Who did you book with and how did you find the pricing to be with different tour companies?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compare Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan

To Tinker 1121,

My husband and I stayed at the Tucan two years ago. I have to be honest, while we LOVED Playa Del Carmen, we were not very happy at the Tucan. Lots of folks love the place, so keep in mind, this is only one person's opinion, but I thought it would be helpful to hear both sides...

We found the drinks to be very watered down and the food only so-so. Breakfast was definitely the best of the bunch. Beds were rock hard, and I do mean rock hard, but I've heard that this is common for the hotels in the area. Front desk staff varied from indifferent to in a few cases, downright rude. My husband and I are pretty laid-back, not at all high maintenance, but we just felt that there was a total lack of customer service. (Example: our tour shuttle to Tulum did not pick us up, and we were not allowed to call them from the front desk. They said their phones could not make outgoing calls (???), which we later found out was a lie.)

Pros: The beach and pool were beautiful. The hotel community is lovely, and safe for walking, day or night. Hotel grounds are pretty, scenic.

So, if you can overlook the lackluster food and drink, you should be OK...

Good luck, whatever you decide.