We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

We've been to Cancun/Riviera Maya numerous times, never stayed at Dreams before.The problems i am having with Dreams Cancun:too old, with Dreams Riviera Cancun-too new, not enough vegetation. With Secrets Maroma- afraid, that because it's an adult-only resort,it will mostly be honeymooners, and it will be boring(stayed at Secrets Capri before, and Sandals Negril)

We are looking for a good beach(calm beach, otherwise i would add Iberostar Grand to our list), nice rooms, good entertainment(evening), with outdoor sitting available for lunch and breakfast.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

Does a family hotel equal less "boring"? I don't know, have never stayed at an AI resort that allows kids and only 3 nights at SMB. There are bars open in the evening, nightly shows and a disco. We skipped it all in favor of our swim out suite and in room jacuzzi, not boring at all.

The pool was pretty lively during the day and in the evening people hung out in the lobby bar. It can be as "boring" or as rowdy as you make it anyplace you stay.

You might want to also add Royal Playa del Carmen to your list as it's right in town and you would have hundreds of bars and restaurants steps out the door.

Check out the links on the right under Top Questions for tons of area info, nitelife and help on where to stay. I would choose Adults Only, personally.

Enjoy your trip! :) CW

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

Hi there the Iberostar resorts is a great choice if you dont want to stay in the adult section you can go to the others for fun.

A couple of others that have fantastic beaches is the Barcelo palace and the

Grand palladium resorts.The Palladuim has a adult section too and you can use the whole resort if you like.(The Royal suits by Palladium)

Dreams Riveria is suppose to be really nice but has gotten out of my price range aready.

Good luck in your serch!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

I'm wondering if your pocketbook can help you with your choice - from what I can see, Secrets Maroma Beach is MUCH more expensive than Dreams Riviera Cancun .... as in almost $1300 for two people for 7 nights. When compared to Dreams Cancun, SMB is coming in at over $2000 more!

The two resorts that come to mind that fit your requirements of good beach and calm water are Secrets Maroma Beach and Catalonia Royal Tulum, both of which are adults only. I'm sure there are others though.

I second Colorado Wanderer's recommendation of the Royal Playa del Carmen. If you should find the resort to be too quiet, then all of Playa del Carmen is right outside your door.

HTH

If you want a good (great) beach with calm water, the two adults-only resorts that would fit the bill that I'm aware of would be

Edited: 2:28 pm, August 01, 2010
Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

Please ignore the paragraph under "HTH" on my previous post; I meant to delete that.

Oopsie!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

I'm also debating between the two. It seems that Dreams has all the same restaurants that Secrets has for less money. I'm concerned that it might be a rowdy resort, although secrets has had some issues with large wedding parties.

What is the beach like at the Dreams resort, is it calm?

Also how far away is it from Playa Del Carmen?

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

Dreams and Secrets are owned buy the same company thats why they have the same resturants..They are owned by Apple vac.I think they have taken on the new jade resorts also.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

"They are owned by Apple vac."

I though Apple Vacations was just a booking agency. Do they actually OWN resorts (or chains of resorts)?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

I would take Dreams Cancun out of your choices. It is a nice hotel (that is a little old) but the pool and the kids don't seem worth it when you put SMB into the equation. I have not stayed at SMB but I did go to Dreams for our honeymoon in 2006. It is was a great time, but we never used the pool since it is so small and filled with kids. The beach was nice with the calmer waters. We enjoyed our time at Dreams but then went to the Royal Cancun in 2007 and realized what we were missing in an adults only AI. If you are worried about a bunch of honeymooners at SMB you should also be worried about a bunch of families at Dreams. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Dreams wasn't a party zone at all and became somewhat boring at night. Of course you are in walking distance to the clubs if that's what you want.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

Did you find the staff were puchy for tips and asking for them? Some people have complained about this.

dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams Riviera Cancun vs Secrets Maroma vs Dreams Cancun

We stayed at Iberostar Quetzal and Iberostar paraiso beach before, i was thinking about Iberostar Paraiso Maya, but 2 things that bother me are beach(i preffer calmer beaches, love snorkeling!:-) and resort size(too big)

Grand Palladium is even bigger,and also too far from the airport, even with non-stop transfer it takes at least 1 hour to get there.