We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-Inclusives Without Marble

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
All-Inclusives Without Marble

The last time in Mexico, I slipped and fell on a marble floor at the resort which led to an injury. I have noticed most resorts have the slick marble everywhere. Are there resorts out there without the marble floors everywhere?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

Would it not make more sense to wear non slip footwear, then you would not be limiting yourself?

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

I think it is still a legitimte question that should be answer. If the OP wants to know which AI don't have marble floor, people in the know should answer. I think it will be hard to find an AI without any marble floor, but there are some with less than others.

new york
Level Contributor
399 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

Akumal Beach Resort

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

What are the floors if they aren't marble? Tile is almost as slick. I'm just curious.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

The Akumal Beach Resort, in Akumal, has wood floors in the lobby, concrete floors in the hallways, and tile flooring in the rooms.

If you're looking for somewhere that has carpet, you won't find it. There are a couple of reasons---the sand that ends up everywhere, and the high humidity would mildew a carpet in a nano-second.

Edited: 8:04 am, July 26, 2010
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

This does raise a safety issue. I don't know if the poster was on wet marble or had wet feet but some hard surfaces and water are just slippery. You have to be careful walking.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

Another thing to be wary of on Marble Floor's in your room...If your AC has been on for quite awhile and set on a lower setting, when opening the slider for any length of time will relult in condensation on the marble..

So you open he slider and walk out on your balcony for 10 minutes or so leaving your slider open and when you go back in the room, Slip, Slide, Whammo...

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

I had a similar problem at El Dorado Royale years ago. Bathroom floor. I now put towels on the floor or bring a pr of flip-flops. I ended up next day having to go to the hospital in Cancun to see orthopaedic surgeon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

My first ever trip to the region - the Krystal in Cancun - I noticed this and pretty much havent stayed in a large/resort hotel since. The lobby was trecherous! The marble didnt even have to be wet. I agree slick tiles can be just as bad, but most of the terra cotta type tiles used in Mexico have some traction.

And, I love polished concrete, but that can be just as bad. Met some guys who were staying in a hotel I was about to land at in Merida - they warned me about the potential for hydroplaning the pool area.

Given the choice though between slippery marble floors or a bat at 4am flying around my wooden/palapa-roofed cabana - I'd rather risk slipping!

Watch out if you ever go to Singapore Jayster! The whole city has been recently renovated and there is so much marble and rain, I think the locals like to watch the tourists sliding around.

Edited: 12:24 pm, July 26, 2010
texas
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All-Inclusives Without Marble

Igunamama- Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why so many resorts use marble floors. They are beautiful to look at but that’s about it. My mom had a really bad fall coming out of the shower and cut her head. We spent the rest of the night at the hospital in Playa del Carmen.