We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle,Wa
2 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

I am debating on splitting my trip 5 days at the Tucan and 5 days at the Del Mar. Does anyone have any input as to wheter this would be a good idea? Are the hotels so similar to each other that I may as well spend all my time at just one? Any thought as to which is better? Thanks

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

2nd Trip:

We just booked at the Tucan. We were debating Del Mar also. We've never been to either but travel agent who has been told us this: Beach at Tucan is better for swimming. Del Mar has coral and is nice for snorkeling. Can swim at Del Mar but she advises water shoes. Beyond that she said not much difference plus you can use both hotels interchangeably along with Iberostar Cozumel. Hope that helps a little. Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,230 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

We're taking 9 yr old twins to the Tucan early March. When are you going? I'd love to know what your experience is like.

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

We're taking 9 yr old twins to the Tucan early March. When are you going? I'd love to know what your experience is like.

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Tucan or Iberstar Del Mar

2ndtrip,

We have been to both the Tucan and Del Mar. The two are quite different from each other in size. Both are great resorts, the beach and pool areas at the Del Mar are much larger than at the Tucan. The Del Mar does have soom rocks in the swimming area but I didn't find it a bad thing.

The Tucan seemed to offer a little better service on the beach and around the pool but I believe it's because the area is smaller and easier for the wait staff to deal with. There also seemed to be more children at the Tucan then at the Del Mar, it could have just seemed this way because of the smaller area.

I preferred the Del Mar, a couple of my sister's liked the Tucan better because they liked the smaller beach, less walking to get back & forth from the beach to the lobby's.

Also, it was easier to get chairs on the beach and around the pool at the Del Mar because it's so much larger. At the Tucan if you want to get a chair around the pool or one on the beach that offers a little shade you need to be down there by 7:00 a.m. with your towels.

The Tucan is closer to Playa which is nice but the Del Mar does offer a free shuttle ride into town.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves no matter which one you choose.

Kathy