We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

After 54 weeks of waiting, we are off to RPDC on Sunday (just incase there is anyone left who may not know…… lol)

My gorgeous boyfriend and I are having a disagreement – we have a luggage allowance of 20kgs per person and 5kgs each as hand luggage – but its still not enough!

I keep telling him that he looks fantastic in whatever he wears, so there is no need for him to pack oodles of clothes (this means I can have the spare space in his suitcase for my stuff ).

I have bought a luggage scale and am prepared to pay extra for excess baggage (currently £9 a kg) but he is dismayed at my inability to contain my possessions to 20kgs.

I have bought so many nice outfits and dresses for this trip – I want to take them all!

I was just wondering if this is a familiar tale amongst female travellers?

Just for fun – how much did your luggage weigh when you went to Mexico?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

For us, I'm the one with more weight (I'm the male of the couple), because of my snorkling gears and bigger shoe size. We split the clothing 50/50 into both suitcases, in case one gets lost. We are usually around 17Kgs per suitcases, leaving room for gifts on return. And we always end-up not using all the clothing we bring with us.

On our last trip, with the kids, we packed the stuff for the 4 of us in 2 checked in suit cases of around 19Kgs each. I left the snorkling gears home, but we had kids stuff (including diapers for our youngest, sand toys and all). And we still had some clothing we didn't use.

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

Oh My!! I'll try not to let my other half read your post...............

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

It's been my experience that you need/use all lot less than you plan on. The dress is very casual at most of the resorts. I find that I use fewer items then I thought I would.

Edited: 10:09 am, June 08, 2010
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

I always pack more than I need and usually hit the max weight of 50 pounds. I never wear everything. I'm especially bad with shoes, I mean a girl has to have different sandals for each dress, right? Oh and tops and shorts. I do NOT need 10 tops for 7 days. I always end up wearing my bathing suit most of the day anyway. I have made a promise that this November, I am NOT going to take as much as I usually do.

I am NOT going to take as much as I usually do.

Really.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

My last trip in May my suitcase weighed 47 lbs going down and 43 lbs coming back because we used all the sunblock.

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

Mollie, my case was 13kg, hubby's 14kg and 9yr old daughter's 14kg !!! and we took loads !!! still never wore everything !!!

That was for two weeks too.

we only had a measly 15kg allowance, but I was well chuffed with our weghts !

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

So when Mom and I left last Tuesday we were both initially over 50 lbs. Did some reorganizing and made the carry-ons heavier and voila! Under 50 lbs. Coming back was a totally different story however. No matter how we tried we could not get either suitcase under 50 lbs (too much tequila) and just paid the charges. While I did not wear everything that I took, I'm still glad I took it all because had we gone to dinner at night we would have wanted those extras. We were just lazy and hung out in the room.

Next time though - less bathing suits - this is honestly the first trip I've EVER taken where I didn't wear them all!!!!

Powell, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

Mollie-Pops

At RPDC men have to wear long pants, nice shirts with collars and closed toe shoes for some of the a la carts. My hubby will bring 2 long pants and a couple of shirts with 1 pair of shoes for 7 nights. I bring one dress or pair of pants with 2 pairs of shoes. Plus shorts and other items for the both of us. Going to Mexico we are around 40 lbs each and coming home closer to 50 because of items we pick up.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Powell, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

Mollie Pops - forgot to tell you that we leave on Saturday for RPDC

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much did your luggage weigh on your trip to Mexico?

Ooohh Hillybillie we might see you there!!

We (well, mostly me) are giddy with excitement - i feel like a teenager going to my first dance. just can't wait.

I will have to have counselling when its time to come home lol