We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
llantwit fardre
Level Contributor
650 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

I have just read the reviews on the Quetzal side of ths hotel and there has been some comments about smell and or noise from the hotel next door. Does anyone have any more they can add to this?

I can get two weeks in the Quetzal side for slightly less than the 10 days at the Tucan side and I was wondering why?

Does anyone have any thoughts. The two travel agents offering these prices are Thomas Cook and First Choice

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

Hi, You can hardly say the Tucan is "next door".........they are basically the same hotel only separated by the jungle area between them. Both sides share everything.....lobby, restaurants, beach, entertainment. Why the Quetzal side is cheaper for 2 weeks, I could not tell you. I would book for 2 weeks. Either side does not matter.......it is a great resort either way!!

llantwit fardre
Level Contributor
650 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

The reviewer was referring to the actual hotel next door which is the Riu not the Tucan as I am sure they would be aware the Tucan and The Quetzal are the same resort as I certainly was

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

Hi

I fully understand the layout of the resort, having been there around five years ago. We have just booked to return in April 2011. All I can tell you is that from memory and having seen some other peoples photographs, there is a loading bay and service area on the Quetzal side. Personally we have booked for the Tucan side as close to the beech as possible. This is soley so that we are as far away from any noise coming from the entertianment area. Having said all that it is a fantastic place, obviously, otherwise we wouldn't be going backj.

Cheers

Gary

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

Well, I did not read the review. I just read the OP and you did not make it clear you realized it was the same resort.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

The price delta is comming from the fact that it's a different tour operator selling it. Quetzal and Tucan are the same thing, but some operator will sell Tucan, other will sell Quetzal and some will call it Tucan/Quetzal. From the review, it doesn't seem to mather under which name you booked it, you could end-up on either side (some people booked Quetzal and got Tucan at check in). You might want to ask for specific side and block, but as for any request they will try to accomodate but it's not guarantied you will get your requested. You should email the resort and request the Tucan side or a block of your liking and specify you DON'T want to be facing the Riu side. I would imagine that facing the jungle side is fine, from smell and noise point of view. This should give them enought option to accomodate you.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

We stayed at the Tucan for a couple of weeks in April. Other than "theme" in the lobby (Mayan in the Tucan and more Conquistador in the Quetzal) I don't think there is much to choose between them. With regard to noise there are hotels adjacent on both sides so probably not much difference. The freight receipt area for the two hotels is out the front directly between the two sides so agin no difference. The Quetzal side does have the Disco so this may add some noise for adjacent accomodation blocks?

With regard to "smell" we didn't notice anything in the resort but as you walk up towards Playacar and the Playa Plaza there was a very pronounced smell of drains at the front of the Viva Wyndham Maya and its adjacent properties. This is only a couple of hundered yards away from the Iberostar resort and on the Quetzal side, maybe if the wind is in the wrong direction it may carry? Also we only typically walked up to the shops when we had rain (and quite a bit of it!) so that probably makes the drain situation worse.

Iberostar is terrific by the way, I don't think whatever you decide it will affect yoru enjoyment of this resort.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

We stayed on the Tucan side once and the Quetzal seven times. They are both the same but we prefer the Quetzal. I say it's because I'm so familiar with it that if we have too much to drink I'll always find my way to my room. We always request a jungle facing room in the mid section of the resort. That way we are equal distance from the lobby and beach and very close to the pool.

llantwit fardre
Level Contributor
650 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

please accept my 'sincerest apologies' for my ambiguous post. Thanks everyone for your excellent replies,language barrier not withstanding

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
284 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

Does anyone know about A/C in the restaurants??? I've heard that the sit down restaurants don't have A/C. Is this just for certian restaurants?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tucan or Quetzal Iberostar

Buffets and beach side restaurants (which double as steak house and some other speciality restaurant) are open air so obviously no AC.

Italian, Mexican and Japanese are enclosed and the Italian certainly has AC so I am guessing the other two do as well.