We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

Hello! I would appreciate it if anybody can tell me whether I should book the tours online or wait to book it when I get there. I am interested in going to Chichen, Xcaret etc...Would I get better deals online or at the hotel? any advice is appreciated!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

You won't get any good deals at a hotel. The best deals are in town, but beware of timeshare sharks. You can save some money by waiting until you arrive and going into town to book. You will also have a better idea of the weather on the day(s) you wish to book after you arrive.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

I normally wait until I get to the resort before booking anything. At home I feel like going to see everything, but once I get to the resort, I usually change my mind and only end up doing 1 or 2 tours. Waiting until you get there gives you the flexiblity to do as much or as little as you want. Plus you will have a better idea of what the weather will be like.

Also, keep in mind that the closer the summer it gets, the hotter it will be inland. Places like 5th ave in PDC, xcaret, and Tulum are right on the ocean so it is not much different than the hotel zone. However, Chichen Itza is about 2 hours inland, and once you loose that ocean breeze, things get very hot very fast. IMO it is better to wait until a cool or cloudy day (if you actually have any) to go to Chichen and save the other tours for the clear and sunny days.

toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

Thanks for the advice. Am interested in swimming with the dolphins.. I heard that gets booked pretty fast...was thinking of swimming with the dolphins at Xcaret...My questions are

1. any other places that you would recommend to swim with the dolphins?

2. should I wait till I get there to book that as well. Don't want to miss out since I have and 8 and a 5 year old who are looking forward to it.

Edited: 11:18 pm, April 13, 2010
Montreal
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

Check out "Edventure Tours" The reviews on TA are stellar & they tailor the excursion to your specifications. Their website dosen't specificaly mention Chichen Itza but if you contact them they'll reply quickly. I asked for a Chichen Itza and Ik-kil Cenote swim and the price was great! As they do private tours, the big bonus is that you get an early start and avoid the constant stoping at 1/2 dozen hotels picking us other tourist. Check out the reviews on TA & have a great time

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

MexicoTraveler is right on! I have this ridiculous to do list and end not doing most of it when we arrive and start relaxing on the beach.

When will you be going? The only times I've heard negative things about Chichén Itzá is it was too hot. Your kids might be the wrong age for that, especially since it is a long drive.

Xcaret is a great choice for your family, if I booked and in advance it would be that one and do the dolphin swim with them. We watched it when our family was there and it was very well done. I've seen them all over and there can be a huge difference.

california
Level Contributor
166 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

Hi Torontolen

Sent you a private email

toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

I thought I'd write an update to my earlier question in case it will help somebody down the road who may have similar queries.....well, I went on my Mayan RIvera vacation and had a fabulous time.....I would agree with the people who had given me their pearls of wisdom...it is better to just wait to get there to book....there is a lot of people at the hotel offering trips and you can book the day before to go on trips without any problems...at least, this way, you know what the weather will be like...also, price wise, you don't get any deals if you book ahead of time, I find, anyway....THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE SWIMMING WITH THE DOLPHINS. I HAD BOOKED this ahead of time in the XCARET website and I'm so glad I did....the price that I had paid when I booked online was way cheaper than what was being offered at the hotel. And as far as the weather, they do have a weather guarantee. The only downside is it is difficult to contact anybody on the number that they have in the XCARET website but I called XCARET and they were able to change the date for me. If you have access to the web, then, it is easier to contact them online according to them to do the change. THe swimming with the dolphin at XCARET was great. The place was clean, I could take pictures from the stand, there were only 5 people in our group and we had an hour with the dolphins. Hope this info helps somebody.....Love the Mayan RIvera....stayed at RIU PLAYACAR....will definitely go back again....

Texas
Level Contributor
456 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

I agree with the above poster. If you do book online you get a 10% discount. Pick one or two excursions you know for sure you want to do and book them online.

Here is why that could be beneficial:

1. You don't have to worry about taking cash or CC with you to pay for it

2 You save the time of having to go to the concierge to book and even more time having to go to town to book (time is money when your on vacation right?)

3. You can use the collectivo system for transportation and save $$$ (know which direction your excursions are from you hotel, you can do that by posting a thread asking on TA)

I booked Xel-ha last year online, we walked up got our bracelets right away and did not have any hassles from them on anything. That is now the method I prefer.

9. Re: should I book online for tours or wait when I get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:47 am, November 17, 2010