We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insulated mugs?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Insulated mugs?

What are the insulated mugs everyone is talking about. Could someone please post a link or a picture of them? All I can think of are the insulated coffee mugs and that can't be right. Or is it?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insulated mugs?

Yes, we used insulated mugs like you would use for coffee. Some people like the BIG ones that hold 32 oz. That's a bit too much for me.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
806 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insulated mugs?

Just an insulated coffee mug. Those little plastic glasses get hot fast. They force you to chug a lug or drink only half your beverage and get a new one.

State of Disarray
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Insulated mugs?

Beth76

There actually is something called a "Bubba Keg" that they all write about. They come in different sizes. WalMart sells them; usually as a summer item. I know there are some listed on ebay. There is also a site I saw selling them with Nascar names on them. I think the Bubba Keg brand is supposed to stay cold longer than some of the other brands, or ones that have a straw in them.

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insulated mugs?

Personally, I like the 20-24 oz. size. Makes a nice nice drink. Holds around 2-3 cups of coffee. The Great Big Mugs seem a little awkward to me.

Manchester,UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insulated mugs?

Zoeg,

why not just drink faster!!!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insulated mugs?

The lid is am important part of it. If you want to sip your drink while lounging, it keeps out the insects and keeps the drink from spilling. I drink a LOT of water, so I would have my mug filled with ice and grab a couple bottles of water and just keep refilling my mug.

kent england
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Insulated mugs?

Is is alright to take your own or do you have buy one from the hotel you're in???

I've got Disney ones - will that be okay???

Thanks in advance.

Melissa.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insulated mugs?

Use whatever mugs you want. Some hotels dont even sell them and if they do, they are expensive and small.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insulated mugs?

Our 32 ounce thermo mugs came from WalMart about $4 each - that is also where "Bubba Kegs" are sold. Ours are like the insulated coffee mugs - only bigger, with lids that have handles, sip slits and a round hole for a straw. Thermos brand makes good ones.

The benefits of the mugs are endless..........

No sand blown in your drink while on the beach

Fewer trips waiting in line at the bar

You can keep them clean, much cleaner than the hotel glasses

Cold beer and drinks stay cold in the tropical heat

Frozen type drinks stay frozen

When at the buffet you dont have to wait for the waiter to continually refill your 6 ounce glasses.

The wonderful Coffee at the hotels can be transported back to your room.

You can even wade out in the ocean with them and the lids keep salt water intrusion to a minimum.

And the most important of all - you're a lot less likely to pick up the wrong 6 ounce plastic cup at the swim up bar, take a big drink, and discover - to your horror - that you've ingested a cigarette butt, as I did at the Jack Tar Puerto Plata in 1991.

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Insulated mugs?

Thing is they're like magic. You put in hot coffee and they keep it hot for a good long time. Now for the magic part, you switch over to a cold drink with ice exact same glass and it somehow knows you want that drink to stay COLD. WOW.

And nowhere in Mexico Have I ever seen a decent one at any price.