We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gala or Tucan??????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
Gala or Tucan??????

I am looking for suggestions on where to stay at for our 1 yr wedding anniversary in April. I am booked right now with Gala. Thinking of upgrading to Royal Club but heard of the Tucan being nice as well. I see these pictures of the tucan with all those chairs crammed together. I don't like that. When is it busy time in Mexico like that? I like a long stretch of beach and some privacy. The gala and Tucan fit our budget. IS one better than the other? Thanks

blondyinnh@aol.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gala or Tucan??????

Blondy I have not been to the Tucan but am going in December. I have been to the Iberostar Lindo and the Del Mar. I was at the Del Mar in 2001 and stayed in April at the Lindo so got to go next door to the Del Mar and they are both great.

I would suggest staying at the Lindo or the Del Mar. If you stay at the Lindo you get to use the Del Mar and Beach also and go to the Tucan! If you stay at the Del Mar you can still go to the Tucan.

I LOVE the way Iberostar does it! I just got back from the DR was at the Hacienda Dominicus run by Iberostar in LaRomana and LOVED it so much I went back again in August!

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gala or Tucan??????

tucan is right beside the gala. i just returned from the tucan in june. would recommend tucan over gala. the gala looked older and not as fun. tucan always has things going on. both are on a great section of beach. to the south is secluded and private. the gala did smell like sewage at night when we walked by it to get back to our rooms. the lindo does look great though, but i know that it is more expensive than the tucan. go to webshots.com and look through the community photos of each. you will have to do a search by the hotel name ex. iberostar tucan.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gala or Tucan??????

thank you for your help! We have decided that we would stay at the Tucan in a Jr suite. I like the reviews I read of tucan better than gala. I like the idea of being able to take walks and see wildlife. I think you ned alot to see and do if you are going to spend a week somewhere AI. The other iberostars were a little out of our price range for this trip. We were teying to be a little more money conscious since we did a 2 week wedding/honeymoon in may 2004. We wanted to have a nice place to stay for our 1 yr and I think we will enjoy tucan!

Thanks!