We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Hi all, I have some sad news to report - there has been a huge change in the condition of the beach at Sandos recently. In one week of our stay (we returned yesterday, 19.12) there was a major erosion and they lost at least 8ft of shore on the main stretch all the way to the right, past water sports center. This made an ugly 4-5ft drop and some of the older sand bags were exposed. Their volleyball court had to be moved as one of the poles holding the net started to collapse. They also had trouble to get jet skis and catamarans in the water.

It was really sad to see and we always stayed as far to the right as possible, because the beach was a little better there (undeveloped part).

We still had tons of fun because the resort itself is great, but the beach was a little disappointing. My solution to it - stay as far to the right as you can, use the new walkway by the RC lounge, face the sun and you wont' have to see the main beach at all ;).

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Thanks for the update. Did you walk to the left side - in the hotel zone direction - what is the condition of the other hotels beaches - Iberostars, Rius, etc.. Did you see any changes there as well?

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

hey xym...so sorry to hear...we've been there 4x (last trip end of oct) and love the beach...how much of the beach is left in front of the playacar bldgs??? say it ain't so :0{...hope they can fix it...

they were building the RC lounge when we were there so i guess it's just about done now???...do u have pix u can post? glad u had a fun vaca despite the beach erosion...will be making our 09 vaca plans to go back - hope by then the beach will be back to normal...great resort anyhow...

Canada
Level Contributor
401 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Do you have any pics? We are going there in Feb. and I picked that place because of the beach.

Lake Lure, North...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Same thing happened last year, It will come back. Here are some pictures in a post that I took last year.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k17061…

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

If you go and search in the reviews under "Sandos Playacar" and then click on "traveler photos" it will show you recent pics taken by visitors (as well as going back several years, if you wish). The erosion doesn't look nearly as bad as it was last year. It's already coming back. I'm not too worried about it.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Last year the erosion wasn't even close to the 4-5ft drop at the Sandos Playacar and if that erosion happened in the week before of the 19.12 there might be no that recent pictures yet posted. There are no dates on the pictures, right? How do we know when are they posted?

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

hey eez...the 2008 pix u took were fr feb 08? cause in may and oct (08) when i went the beach was not at all like that ... was almost the same as it was when we first went (been there 4x)-no drop offs, just a beautiful beach...this gives me hope that it will be back to normal soon... :0}

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Wow that was fast. We just returned last Friday from the Iberostar Tucan (my pics aren't up yet) and the Sandos was pretty good except for in front of the Select beach as the old sandbags are exposed. The beach in front of the Rius was pretty good, the Wyndham's not great and as you approached the Royal Hideaway it is non existent. The Tucan has about 8 or so large sandbags but the beach was at least 50ft longer than neighboring resorts. We did see a couple feet fill in while we were there (it was pretty cool) but it seems it sure doesn't take long to get washed away again. The Sandos only has a couple bags out there so although it looks good I can see how it could be more affected than the other resorts in Playacar.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Olga, you can tell when they're posted by clicking on the corresponding review (there's a link either above or below the pic that says something like "read review"). I believe, however (don't quote me on this) that the first pics that come up are the most recent.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandos Playacar beach condition - new

Oh, I didn't notice the DATE of the erosion. I was thinking this was in reply to the erosion that occurred in November (silly me). At any rate, there was noticable improvement between Nov. and before this latest occurence, so unless you're leaving really soon, it will probably not be too bad. It seems that this is a normal thing and it builds back up pretty quickly.