We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Secrets Excellence

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antono, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Secrets Excellence

My husband and I are traveling to Secrets Excellence this month. We have enjoyed reading everyone's posts, but still have a few questions. First, are there pay phones in the area, so that we can use a calling card to call our children? Can you get cash at the hotel? Do they have in-room safes?

How much money would you bring for tips per day and who do you tip and how much do you reccomend? Are the pools still cold? We have reservations for a swim-out room. Has anyone stayed in one? What do you think? Thank you!

Elk Grove, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

HI

we spent thanksgiving in paradise and will go back. Yes, there are phones right around the corner from the check-in desk, yes you can get cash at the check-in desk and yes they have in room safes. Good sized safes. We were able to put all of our camera equipment in there.

We spent about 10-15 dollars in 1's tipping per day. A couple of times we gave a $20 to someone very deserving.

We loved our swim out suite and would request one again. We were in 1006 with a view of the spa building (gorgeous at night). I would reccomend bringing ear plugs, the room service carts are metal and on the tile floor hallways it can be rather noisy at 6 am. Nothing an earplug would not fix however.

RELAX, ENJOY AND DO TRY THE FAJITA'S AT THE POOL BAR!

San Antono, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Are all the swim-out rooms located on the ground floor? How much do you reccomend tipping the cleaning ladies? Do you have the same cleaning ladies each day for both the morning and turn-down service? Thanks for the help. It has been 12 years since we have gone on a trip like this and we want to make sure that we are giving decent or more tips.

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

My husband honeymooned in Riviera Maya at the Bahia Principe last year. We are staying at Secrets Excellence this Jan. When we tipped the maids, we left several dollars each day and they seemed pleased. I've looked into the swim up rooms and they are definitely on the ground room. Basically, you have your own little pool (no privacy) that is very close to your door. I, myself, am not sure if it's worth the money. As the person stated above, the room service carts they use are supposedly noisy. When I vacation, I always request a room on the highest floor, so that there is less foot traffic. Just my two cents...

Oh! About the pools, everyone says they are all cold. But if you think about it -- it's close to 90 degrees there with humidity on top of that, so the pools are actually nice to be cold.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

All the swim out rooms are located on the ground floor.

We did not stay in one - but it was mentioned previously

that they were not private. I think it all just depends on your

attitude. We saw couples enjoying themselves in their outdoor jacuzzi's on the patio- why be bashful...everybody is just there to have a great time! We also saw the waiter serving

them cocktails..nice touch. (they were the rooms located

in the oceanfront area) The spa area is much quieter

than the other main area - so depending on which area

and what you prefer is up to you.

We did tip the maids - a few dollars per day - as well as

all the wait staff and bartenders. We did not find that to

be the "norm" amongst the other guests and they were

treated the same if not better than us. (maybe they were

hoping to get tips from the others not tipping?)

You can always keep in touch with your children by using

the internet service in the lobby area or if you are in the

excellence club - they also have PC's in the concierge lounge.

The pools ARE COLD! but once you get in and laugh...you

get use to the water. It was very refreshing.

WJB
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Skipdog....we were there many of the same days as you. I guess they started heating 2 pools on Thursday the 9th. By Friday, the heated one that we went in late in the day (near the Aquaworld hut - across from the "main" pool) was VERY warm. We were able to hang out in there after the sun dipped below building level and felt very comfortable. It wasn't just slightly heated. The water return jets were pumping in HOT water. While the pool was actually almost a little too warm, it will serve as a nice alternative for those that find the other pools too cold. I agree, once we were in the water, it started to feel pretty good. Especially if you were at the swim up bar having a few drinks out in the sun!

I also tipped a little bit throughout the stay. Mainly the waiters at dinner, poolside servers (try the chips w/pico and guac - chicken fajitas and chicken quesadillas), a few bartenders that were especially good and the maid on a few different days. This was pretty much a first for me at an all-inclusive resort. But, the service was above what we typically received as well, so I felt good about doing it.

We also utilized the internet service to e-mail our family back home. In fact, it worked out so well that we didn't even call home during our 7 night stay. Again, a first. It actually saved us some $$ and felt as in-touch as calling because we sent notes daily vs. calling only a couple of times.

The in-room safes are GREAT! All electronic. No need for a key. You just key in a 4 digit pin number and hit lock. To unlock you just re-enter your pin number. Very easy. Also, they are a nice size and easily fit most things that you'd want to lock-up.

I'm going to write a full trip report at some point, but if anyone else has any specific questions, I'll do my best to respond.

Bill

San Diego...
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Hi:

Thanks for your post. Just wondering if you will be posting pictures with your trip review and also what is the deal with the beach? so many people rag about it

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Gotta love your name...Grateful Deb

Here is the deal with the beach.....

The beach itself is beautiful. I saw beach crews scouring

the sand every morning to ensure all the junk was picked up from the day before. The sand is very fine and sugar like.

The bad side is the water. From afar it looks nice...but once

you get closer there is a lot of sea grass floating. Not very

pretty. They have a guy with a tractor picking up the excess

sea grass that has washed a shore a couple times of day.

The reason for the sea grass is that about 500 meters off shore

is a large reef - so the waves break out there. Do not worry..

the resort is so nice it makes up for the water!!

PS..if you are allergic to sand fleas/no seeum's...they are there. I had trouble...where others are not bothered at all.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Skipdog: Sorry t be such a pain. I just read a review that the guy said he wouldnt go there again unless it was a maximum secrity prison and he had to go. What gives. Is there anywhere down the beach either way you can walk to have crystal blue water?

charleston, sc
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Secrets Excellence

Which room categories have the outside jacuzzi?