We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Tours

I am going to PDC in October and was wondering if it is better to book any of the tours I may want to do before we go or if we can do it when we get to the resort? Also can anyone give me some advice on which ones they enjoyed. I am going with my husband, 2 kids (10 and 11) and my mother in law and her friend. We know we want to go to Tulum but thinking we should rent a car because we all get bus sick. How easy is that and if it is easy can we just get tickets to some of these attractions? Thanks in advance. I have only been to Florida on vacation so this is all very new to me.

Lake orion, MI
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours

Congradulations, you will love PDC. Your kids would love Xel-ha, so much to explore, and a great intro to snorkeling. You need a whole day here. Tickets are much cheaper purchased in advance from their website. My family did the Pac-chen/Coba tour with alltournative...you zip-line across a lagoon, canoe around a lake, and repel into a cenote (an underground cave that was VERY cool), as well as tour the "jungle". (lunch is included, you have to pay 2 pesos to use the public restroom in Coba) It was not as rigorous as it sounded, and anyone can do this trip. It was also cheaper to book on-line, which we did right from the resort, instead of using the tour desks. My sister and I did the mayan adventure, which was jumping the mayan sacrifice (15 feet into an open cenote), snorkling in Akumal with the sea turtles, and lunch. Two years ago we did the Snorling Adventure and liked it much better for the snorkling. This year we are going to do the ATV/snorkling trip. You will never be excited about going to Florida again after you have been to PDC!

cancun, mx
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours

Get to Tulum it's easy and safe, it's better if you get early to the ruins, to avoid the crowds and your kids will love to explore this site. You can buy the tickets in the site, cost like $37 pesos from each, childrens pay half price I think. You can also swim in Tulum, take you bath swim with you, because after the walking you will need it, wear cool clothing, walking shoes and a hat or umbrella for the sun! Take bottled water and sun block..

bda
Saskatchewan, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours

You and your kids will love Xelha. My husband and I were in PDC in 2002. We never booked a tour before we went or through a tour group. We were told by the Entertainment crew at our resort to just get on the local shuttle busses. It cost us $2.50 Canadian one way to ride to the park. They drop you off at the entrance and you walk in.

You will need a whole day to see it all. Remember not to wear sunscreen! They ask you at the front gate and if you have it on they will make you shower before entering the water.

Kent, England
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours

It's gotta be Xel Ha!!!! Fabulous day.... My husband and I did the Tulum trip in the morning (around ancient Mayan ruins) then onto Xel Ha by about 11am. So much to explore, I'm a little worried about snorkelling in deep water with huge fish etc. but this was great and it felt really safe. We bought are environmental sun cream all ready for the day, but no one checked - but better safe than sorry.... You need it, along with a hat and plenty of water. I think that was the only day of our 2 week holiday that the heat really got to me - it was fantastic when we got into the water and snorkelled for about 3 hours!!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours

How would they know if you have regular sunblock on? Does it come off in the water? I have read that bio-degradeable is not the same, i.e. not as good, as eco-friendly. But where do you find it?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours

biodegradeable is ok at xel ha. xel ha asks to look in your backpac and if you have tanning lotion that isn't bio, they take it from you. bio is necessary. the fish and so forth can get very ill or die from regular lotion. also it creates an "oil slick" in the water. thats what really hurts the plant life and fish in the water. eco is ok too. bio is sold pretty much everywhere. i would say eco only at health food stores.

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours

Xehal was great exspecially for us new to snorkeling. One lady on our shuttle said they had went to xcaret the day before and they wouldn't let them snorkel because of the wind. We also did the horse back riding tour. I would not recommend this. Unless your really into riding horses. The jungle they talk about is a big gravely path more like a farm road going in between a grove. I would like to know where nature was hiding that day. When you get to the ocean they unsaddle one horse and whoever wants to go out into the ocean on it can. Two guides pretty much go out by your sides and lead your horse out and back. I didn't do it for undelying reasons. Probally should have it might of been the best part of the tour. I believe 4 out of 5 of us would not have booked it had we known what it was like. When you get back you eat a really simple lunch and a small glass of pop.