We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Trips

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling Trips

Hi. I am interested in snorkeling trips. I understand you can catch a ferry to Cozumel and snorkel there...how much does this cost? How long of a trip is it? What should I bring with me? Any suggestions for snorkeling companies? Any and all help will be appreciated!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Trips

Try the Cozumel forum and do a search on "snorkel" there's been a lot of discussion out there.

Byron, Minnesota
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Trips

If you are just learning to snorkel, I would suggest Xel-Ha. It is beautiful there and is a safe place to learn. Half a day is too short.

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Trips

The two main differences I saw between Xelha and cozumel:

COZ: Tons of small brightly colored fish near reefs (think nemo and Dori)

Xelha: Large schools of larger less colorful fish and very few small colorful fish.

Also Stingrays and Barracudas.

The two experiences are very different and unique in their own way and neither should be missed if you are really into the snorkelling/fish.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Trips

Thanks Noangelx.

Going down in Sept for first time in the area.

Hopefully the oceans have calmed down a little by then.

I will try both spots.

Greenville
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Trips

My wife and I have never snorkeled (outside of one booze cruise in Jamaica) we have no equipment, but we do have 6 nights at moon palace :). Does anyone have any recommendations on a snorkeling trip?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Trips

Take an underweater camera.

Don't mess around with the mask, snorkel and fins the tours and the resorts rent or lend out. They are junk.

If you do really enjoy it and will go out again, get your own stuff.

you don't need the really exspensive equiptment to have fun.

Hope this helps.

Have a safe holiday!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Trips

I recently snorkeled in Playa del Carmen and was saddened at the state of the reef. Go to Cozumel and snorkel. It will be better.

Invest in your own equipment too. The rentals are like something you would buy a kid from a discount store. Get one with the valve at the bend in the snorkel that you you can empty water with a quick breath.

I took in at least a gallon of water and it doesn't make you feel so hot. Plus the rental mask & mouthpiece kept leaking. Wondering if you are going to drown puts a damper on the experience.

8. Re: Snorkeling Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, May 13, 2009