We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever change resorts to save $$

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ever change resorts to save $$

So we booked RPDC...got what we consider a good deal.

But I just found that the new H10 resort (Ocean Coral Turquesa something or other) is having an amazing deal.

We could go super cheap and save over 1K on the trip with a basic room OR we could upgrade to a suite with a jacuzzi on the balcony and ocean view and still save over 600 bucks.

$$ has been tight lately and the only reason we are taking the trip at all is b/c we figure $$ is only gonna get tighter- might as well go now than wait.

I know the resort is nowhere near luxury- but we've stayed at worse places before and had a decent time. At least this place is new so it will be clean and fresh....

Anybody know about food? Can you do a non buffet dinner each night? Only a few nights? Are ressies needed?

Anybody ever change their ressi over a good deal? I am gonna have to talk to my hubby about this. Anybody been there??? The reviews seem mixed but decent recently.

How far away is it by cab to PDC?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

I found it on my mapchick map.

H10Punta Turquesa & Punta Coral- Km. #325.

Pretty close to the airport.- Km. 340

Puerto Morelos is Km. 320

PDC is Km.290.

Looks like it is next door to Paradisus and ERC.

Less than halfway from the airport to PDC.

Personally, I never upgrade rooms. We always get the cheapest room. No way I'm paying more to stay at the same place. (you mentioned paying more for a suite)

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

Did you get travel insurance? I know thru Apple it will cost you to downgrade but not to upgrade.

I say try the H10 at the better price, the RPDC can wait till next time. Stay at the cheap room, how often are you in it anyway? And bank your savings for the next trip. You may even get lucky and get a free upgrade.

Isnt the H10 resorts part time share? That may be something to think about also if it is. I would hate to be harrassed into one of those my whole vacation.

Oh I would stay away from opening month also if you can.

Micki

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

It costs us to down grade thru Funjet as well. I don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't unreasonable if you can save $1000. I wouldn't upgrade either especially if you're only switching to save some cash. You could put that in a seperate savings toward a vacation for next year.

That's what I would do. JMO

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

I booked through traveloni and they booked us on CO vacations. I'm gonna call traveloni and find out what they can do.

We have trip insurance with cancelation insurance and we have only paid the airfare so far. We haven't paid a penny toward RPDC yet. We bought it as a packg.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

what's CO vacations?

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

Asmit..you should be fine esp. if you have the insurance.

Let us know what you're going to do:)

Micki

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

Asmit,

I think the H10 is a step down from the RPDC. The reviews are very mixed.

The beach is way nicer at RPDC. The H10 is on the same stretch of beach that ERC and Paradisus is on. Lots of seagrass, murky, greenish water. We walked that beach every day when were at ERC and I didn't see H10 cleaning up the seagrass. The beach in PDC is stunning in comparison.

But 1K is a good chunk of change, for sure!

Hanover PA
Level Contributor
173 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

I have to agree with spotsmom... The reviews have not been good at all and it makes me wonder if that is the reason for the cheap deal...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

I agree the reviews are spotty. I know to expect our shower to not drain right, I know to not get coffee before 10am, I know the buffets are so/so and the ala cartes are hit/miss, I know the drinks are not top shelf, the beach has seaweed-as per photos...

I realize 100% that it's a downgrade, but the deal is really making me think...to save that much $$ is awesome and I can't find anything that is downright horrid about the place.

Hanover PA
Level Contributor
173 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ever change resorts to save $$

Asmit,

Go for it then and have a great time... That is a big difference in price...