We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it expensive?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
wa
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it expensive?

I was in mazatlan a couple of years ago and the dollar seemed to go pretty far. In PDC things seem to cost a bit more. What can I expect to pay for a Drink, a beer, a cover charge, a steak? The exchange in Mazatlan was 9 to 1 and here we are at 11 to 1 now. Also seems like the attractions are all $50-100 US. What should I expect?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it expensive?

Prices have gone up over the past few years in PDC as well as the Cancun area. Last time I was there the exchange rate was 10 to 1. I paid $8.50 for a margarita at Senor Frogs. There were 6 of us...ate dinner and stayed until the wee hours of the night. We got out of there $700 later. Thought I was going to have to offer up my firstborn...ha. I was used to an all inclusive and forgot I had to pay for everything....whewww, what an eye opener. But that was a one time thing...I think we went a little overboard that night.

There are very reasonable places to eat and drink. Mapchick can help with that...go to her website. Tells you all the places to eat/drink reasonably. There are places you can eat till you're absolutely stuffed for $4.00....just have to know where those places are. Most of them are off Avenida Quinta (shopping area).

xm
los angeles
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it expensive?

Hi - Yes there are cheap places to eat in Playa - there are lots of taco and chicken places off the strip (5th ave) - try Asadero El Pollo on 15th ave between 2nd and 4th, Tacos Arabe/Israel 15th ave and 10th street. Los Almendros on 10th and 6th street. There is Tarraya on the beach on Calle 2norte, north of Juarez - cheap seafood.

T

here is also a taco guy in the early afternoon on the corner of 5th ave and Juarez, in the main plaza, selling pork tacos for .40 cents and there are 2 hot dog vendors on the same street next to the bus station/taxi central - they have turkey and beef hot dogs - very good, specially the turkey ones with their awesome spicy green sauce. Go inthe early afternoon - this is when the people of mexico eat thier bigger meal.

For cheap souvenirs, right across from the taxi central/hot dog stands on Juarez there is an souvenir outlet - the cheapest prices for stuff for those back home.

For fruit, go twords the ferry and you will see beautiful maya women selling the freshest fruit cups of mango, jicama and papaya for a buck - a real treat.

I

f you bring a foldable cooler there is the Chaudrui market on hwy 307 close to Juarez and here you can buy just about everything for a pic-nic and booze. At the time we went they were going to open a Sams club - SO SAD - Shop at the Chadrui - way smaller quantities and help suport local business.

I recommend getting a good map, specially of you are off roading sort of speak for local food, the farther away from 5th ave you will finder cheaper eats - I recommend -

the Can Do travel Guide - your guide book in a map- Playa del Carmen - got on Amazon for 8 bucks and was well worth it.

For a cheap splurge go to Las Mananitas and get a real good/best pizza ever for 10.00 us - I had the for 4 cheese pizza that included blue cheese that was divine! Its big enough to share for 2 people.

I hope this helps and enjoy!!

edmonton,alberta...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it expensive?

You can find lots of things to eat, see, and do inexpensively, just depends on what you want to pay. Lot's of excursions can be done without a tour, and so may places to eat at. We used a collapsable cooler on the beach, and some day trips. Bought ice, water, and beer at the corner stores for a 1 dollar. Most beach clubs sell beer for 2 dollars, margarita's 3.50 or 5 beer in a bucket for 7 dollars. The beaches on the north side may be up a bit more. I found the restaurant prices better here than some places back home for what you got.I pay 3.50-4.50 just for a beer back home in some lounge.

Brandon, Manitoba
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it expensive?

The above posts are right on. A collapsible cooler that you can carry comes in handy on the way there or home as it can double as luggage for thoes of us that travel light. You can also pack it full of good stuff for long walks on the beach. Found the San Fransisco to have very good grocery (beer) prices. Playa can be expensive if you don't watch where you go. (Thought an ice cream cone would be fun until I had to fork over about $6 - didn't ask first) There are plenty of restaurants on 5th that provide a dinning experience but if you just want to eat there are lots of places that have excellent food at reasonable prices just a couple of blocks inland. Might need to brush up on your basic Espanol. Did the tour thing on our own and had a great experience. Most of the enjoyment came from getting the "how to" from the PDC residents or snow birds. Found everyone to be extreemely helpful. Playa can be expensive if you let it be. Can only squeeze in 2 weeks this year and am looking forward to New Years on the beach again. This will be our 3rd time and have enjoyed every minute. See ya there! PS: Was in Mazatlan 15 years ago and then it was OK but there is no comparison to Playa.

wa
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it expensive?

Thanks everyone. Mazatlan was a great time, I don't think I paid more than $7 for filet every night and never more than a buck for a beer. Everyone had some great ideas and I am definitely bringing a cooler. When you do the tours on your own are you renting a car or just taking taxis or what. Also, what are some good places to snorkel that aren't too far from puerto morales which is closest to where we will be? We are thinking of bringing our own equipment etc. Thanks again.

Brandon, Manitoba
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it expensive?

I don't snorkel but it looked like it could be done anywhere. Did go to X-hah, expensive but for a novice safe. They supplied everything. Puorto Morales and everywhere else has snorkel boats and a dive shops.

Never took a tour. Used the collectivo. Great way to get up and down the coast. Not sure if they go north from Playa as we took a cab to PM. Sorry PM people but I found PM too quiet. The collectivo's do go at least as far south as Tulum. Look back in the forums there are discussions on collectivo's. I think you will find the beer a bit more expensive. Never ate a steak, with all the variety I wanted to try everything new. They advertise Canadian beef and I am a canadian cattle farmer. Got a freezer full and still waiting for the boarder to open.

xm
los angeles
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it expensive?

Dear n9740998:

This is what we did for day trips - don't pay those travel tours - I thought they were very expensive - 50 - 100 a person when you can rent a car for about 25 a day.

The entry to the ruins was minimal - tulum $4.00us plus parking $3.00us, Chichen was $10.00 us plus parking was a $4.00, Coba was $4.00us.

Plus you are at your leisure - no pushy people yelling to get on a bus.

For day trips we went to Tulum, Chichen, Cozumel, and Coba. I highly recommend renting a car, we chose Avis and they had the best rate. The highways were great and we had no problems at all. Make a reservation from the states/canada, you will get a better rate for playa and cozumel.

This is what we did Tulum - go early and check out the ruins and take a towl - you can swim directly under the ruins - very pretty and the beach is excellent. You can take a cooler and spend the day at the beach there or go to a palapa bar - we went to El Paraiso. You are going to have to leave the ruin site and go down the highway and make a left at the light before Tulum town - just ask and people will show you the way. El Paraiso has the same beach but with facilities and a bar with swings. We actually ate in Tulum at a chicken place for 5 bucks - very good and a cool experience - Dona Rosa Pollo - before bus station on left hand side.

Chichen Itza is long day trip - its about 3 hours to get there - we stopped in Valledolid for breakfast and had tacos in the plaza - there is one stand just full of people, so did the same - very good. We got a guide at the sight and split the cost with another couple, 24.00 us a couple. we toured for an 1.5. Go early because its very hot.

Coba about 1.5 from Playa is another cool ruin to go to - it predates Chichen. Its a big site and you can rent a bike or they have tricycles and a guide takes you on his bike. On our way back look for Casa Cenote - its a another palapa bar but I thought the beach was not all that but the Cenote infront of the bar/hotel is amazing - its one of the better cenotes. manate cenote was beautiful - you can also try the cenote grande that is on the way between coba and tulum - we did not go but I heard lots of good things.

Snorkeling

Do not bother snorkeling in Playa - all small fry - make the effort and go to Cozumel - 9.00us each way.

Cozumel we took the ferry and rented a car for the day. We stopped off at a Chadrui in Cozumel which is on the way to Dzul ha and stocked up on goodies and ate at their taco bar inside, very tasty and easy. You need to pay for the tacos before you order, just tell them how many you plan on eating.

We went to Dzul Ha and snorkeled most of the day, we saw lots of fish, huge parrot fish and swam out to the the snorkel boats when they cruised by - bring a banana or mango and you will find tons of fish coming to you. no need for for a tour. we cruised the island - it took an 2 hours, beautiful coast and stopped off at one of the palapa bars on the east coast of cozumel. The drinks at these places were about 7.00 us but you can always pull over and enjoy your bounty from Chadrui.

For an amazing dinner go to Oscar and Lalos - its not in town but before tulum - the most romantic place, the menu can be pricy but they have 12.00 us fried fish plates that was great. Go before sunset.

Plus I highly recommend going to Hidden Worlds, snorkeling in the Cenote/caves is amazing. This was the highlight of our trip, the caves are amazing - it was one of those one in a life time experiences - if you scuba dive you will have a better tour - amazing is all I can say. The snorkel tour was 40.00us a person and well worth it.

edmonton,alberta...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it expensive?

You can do alot of tours by colectivos or a combination of taxi and colectivo. Akumal, Xel-Ha, Tulum, Hidden worlds, Tres Rio. You would have to be able to do a bit of walking to do some of the above. Puerto Morelos has great snorkeling but you need to take a boat. You can find lots of boat tours very reasonable in PM, they usually go out at 8am and 1pm. (Just check with the dive shops) Akumal is also great to snorkel at, just of the beach or at Yul-Ku lagoon which is in Akumal. I like the beach better. La Buena Vida restaurant is a great place to have lunch beautiful veiw on beach and could snorkel right there if you want. I had some maps from mapchick.com that was the best thing I brought with me. I felt so confident on where I was going and how to get there, it holds a wealth of information on everything in PDC and the Mayan Riviera.