We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Dog

Does anyone know a hotel in Playa del Carmen that would allow our very well behaved German Shepherd

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog

Nope ....PDC is more of a cat kind of place. Beach patrol in the populated areas watch closely and if you take them to the jungle side the jaguars watch too.

I am sure you will find a room at an inn for you and the pooch. I always leave Fluffy at home as I don't want the sand fleas in my room.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog

Well no hotel on the beach will, unless they're willing to break the law. For what that's worth to know. :)

Steve

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog

So you all are telling me it is illegal to walk a dog on the beach and jaguars are attacking dogs?

First, I don't care if the hotel is on the beach, I live on the beach in Belize, close to the Jaguar Reserve. I thought Belize had more jungle than Playa and we don't have a problem here. We wanted to drive to this area to go to the modern conveniences, re: shopping malls and Walmart.

NJ
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog

Ohh it's no secret that jaguars LOVE dogs. It's a small pray than them and much weaker too. That's not just in Playa. That's around the world.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog

Dogs are prohibited on the beaches of Playa by order of municipal health authorities, yes, and beachfront establishments are prohibited from accepting guests/customers with dogs, under risk of significant fines for doing so. This has been the case now for the past 3-4 years.

Now, this being Mexico, enforcement of the law may be a rather different issue, and you will if you spend much time on the beach in Playa see people with dogs, either because they are unaware of the prohibition (despite the numerous signs that clearly state it in English and in Spanish and graphically, at various points on the beach), or because they perhaps don't want to follow such rulings. However the clear effect ever since the prohibition went into effect has been to greatly reduce the number of dogs seen on the beaches during the main part of the day, as people tend to restrict such to early morning or later afternoon/early evening walks or runs.

STeve

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog

CaptainAnne,

May I suggest Puerto Morelos instead of Playa for your hotel destination?

Puerto is half-way between Playa and Cancun and is probably one of the more dog friendly places I've been too.

I would post your question on the PM forum - and specifically ask for Puerto Morelos Frank.....

ie Question for PM Frank re Dogs

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog

Thanks for the info, I will try Puerto Morelos,

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog

You might want to pose that question on the forum at http://www.intheroo.com. We're pretty sure that one has been answered before on that forum. There is at least one hotel in town that does allow dogs; we just can't remember which one it is. Playa is very dog friendly.

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog

Thanks Tony & Cheri, Geez, I was loosing all interest in Playa Carmen. We just have a good friend, musician, there Barefoot Skinny we were hoping to find. We have hotel in Belize on the beach and oddly, we wanted to come to this area to go shopping, but have no where to leave our lovely dog.

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog

I guess we are giving up taking a vacation to your area, apparently no one in Playa Carmen or Puerto Morelos is allowing us to take our dog. We have a little resort in Placencia, Belize and if anyone wants to come here and bring their dog friend, we would like to welcome them. Our dog loves other dogs.