We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break for students...February? March?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break for students...February? March?

We've been planning to book a two-week holiday to PDC (from Winnipeg), leaving around February 9/06. A response to one of my posted questions pointed out that Spring Break for students is in February (I thought it was late February or early March). Are there a lot of college/university students from the US and Canada on break in mid-February? Does this have an impact on prices and availability of packages in PDC?

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

I'm pretty sure that's a little early for spring break. I checked on a web site that specializes in spring break travel, and their very earliest dates are 2/18-2/25.

I doubt that PDC is a big destination for college spring break, anyway. It could have some impact on flights, though.

Spring break for primary school students will have a greater impact on availability, but that's usually later in the season.

Hope you have a great time.

Shaky

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

I don't know of any college/university that has spring break in February. Most US spring breaks are mid-late March. Have a great trip!

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

Next year for our area spring break will begin on April 14th.

We always go in late Feb. and never encounter any springbreakers. They tend to stick mostly to the Cancun area.

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

I've never heard of any Spring Break before mid March...

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

I think our university and college break is the end of February, however the college my daughter went to had their break the week following so I think you'll be fairly safe on missing them. I think most of them tend to go to Cancun anyway for the party atmosphere. The prices do go up for the Spring break in March and I see in one of the new brochures we have that the price for the week of Feb16 to March 01 is higher than the week before and after.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

Spring break for us is March 11 - 18. We're already booked for IB Quetzal.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

Spring breaks vary and run basically all the way through the month of March. If you fire up Google on the topic you may find (as I've seen in the past) some sites which indicate approximate figures in terms of numbers of universities/students on break at various times throughout the month.

However virtually none of them come here to PDC, relative certainly to the masses of them that visit Cancun.

Finally, February and March are bona fide high season months -- the peak of the high season, in fact -- in this entire region, even without typical spring breakers. That will already mean you'll be facing the highest prices of the year, except for something very special like the Xmas/New Year's holiday period.

Steve

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

University of Manitoba students had a spring break Feb 12-19, 2005. It is usually mid Feb at U of M. Some students go away, but also students who work part time often are available to work full time during that week so others take holidays. My co worker booked her trip in end of Sept 2004 for Feb 12-19 and many places were sold out!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break for students...February? March?

The public school kids have a week off in mid Febraury in New England. The majority of colleges in this area have spring break sometime in March.