We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
robbinsvile, nj
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Hi -

I'd like to thank everyone below for the list of favorite restaurants in PDC. My boyfriend and I are staying at an all-inclusive resort but we'd like to go out to town for one or two dinners to experience a more "Mexican" feel.

I have heard that the "Cave restaurant" is really nice and very different. Also, I have heard that the Frida restaurant is excellent.

Can you tell me if these restaurants are far away or hard to get to from Iberostar Del Mar? I'm somewhat nervous about taking the taxis...that I'll be dropped off at the restaurant we won't be able to find a taxi to bring us back to the hotel.

edmonton,alberta...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Alux (cave reataurant) is up by the highway, Frida's has been taken over by The Blue Lobster (I think) it is located right on 5th where car's can not drive down. I am sure once you come to town and walk around you will find many places to eat and see that taxi's are all over the place. I don't have my Mapchick map with me so I am not sure where your hotel is, but if it is in Playacar you can walk into town.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Alux is actually on the other side of the highway about 3 blocks, so definitely a taxi ride, but not a long or hard one or anything like that. Not sure it was a particular "Mexican" feel to it, but it does have an unusual and interesting feel to it!

And yes, the word from management at Blue Lobster, at least, is that they will be taking over the space that was Frida's and (they say) operating it jointly with their current location for the Christmas season (although a lot of construction plans in Mexico don't exactly meet their deadlines!).

Steve

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

If you're planning on walking to town from Playacar at night....don't. The sidewalks are not in the best shape, and sometimes hard to see the sidewalk. You can put your foot in a hole and break something....have to be careful walking around Playa...Take a 2 minute cab ride --- not worth ruining your vacation.

xm
los angeles
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Alux is the name of the cave restaurant - me and hubby went just for a drink - the place smelled kinda musty and was a bit over priced. They have a bely dancing show just about every night at 10 - 10:30. Take a tour of the cave, its huge and they even have little hide-away areas with couches and a dance floor. I found it to be too humid and could not imagine partying with the masses in this place.

Go for a drink and eat at a restaurant on la Quinta - lots of people watching and the cool fresh beach air to boot.

Enjoy

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

The Iberostar Pariaso Del Mar is a little north of PDC (not in the Playcar area) and is about a 20 minute Taxi ride into Playa. They also offer a free shuttle bus to town from the resort that runs from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

If you take the free shuttle bus into town you will need to get a taxi to take you out to Alux (Cave Restaurant). Your best bet would be to take a taxi from the resort right to the restaurant.

It's definitely not a walkable distance. You take Hwy 307 from the resort into town.

Taxi's are easy to find, they are all over.

Have a great vacation!

robbinsvile, nj
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your help.

yardley pa
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

HI,

Yes just across the Delaware :) .Do you know how far it is from Puerto Morales to Secrets Excellence. It doesnt seem too far. Curious if you can walk from one to the other....

Cya

Rob

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

Cabs are everywhere around there, no need to worry just make sure you get the price before you drive. Fast and easy is better than no safe and sorry. Good luck.

yardley pa
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "Cave Restaurant" - what is this?

great.. thanks much...