We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal/Half Moon/Yalku

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Detroit, MI
7 posts
Save Topic
Akumal/Half Moon/Yalku

Is it possible to ride a bike between these areas?

Any recommendations on where to rent and still easily find transportation back to PDC in the early evening?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal/Half Moon/Yalku

Hi. Why don't you just rent a car to get there and to get around? Yes, you can ride a bike thru the area...not far at all. But if you got a car for the day at about $50 you can easily get around in Akumal...you can drive all the way to Yal-Ku...on the way you pass half-moon bay...lots of places to eat lunch, etc. You could also drive a little further to Xel-Ha or Tulum (if so I would do either of these first and then hit Akumal on the way back) If you still wanted to ride I am sure they will have bike rentals somewhere there. OR you could always take a collectivo there and back.

Detroit, MI
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal/Half Moon/Yalku

Thanks for your thoughts!

I thought a bike ride might be a fun way to explore and get in some exercise. My boyfriend is pretty fit (and hopefully, I'll be a little bit better shape by then, too! hahaha!)

I was thinking about taking the collectivo down to Tulum early and then finding our way over to Akumal and north. Don't know if my plan is too ambitious as we do want to take it easy, swim, drink and dine, etc.

The area just seems perfect for a day trip from PDC.

Is it true that the cruise ships come in on Tuesday and Thursday to PDC?

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
297 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal/Half Moon/Yalku

Hi Maria

If you just want to explore the Akumal/HMB/Yal Ku areas, then a bike or golf car rental will be fine. Take the Collectivo to Playa Akumal, walk to the village and you can rent there. However, if you are going to those areas, you're going to want to snorkel - it's just wonderful there - masses of fish and turtles - so - you may not want to be on a bike, lugging all your snorkelling equipment. If you want to go to Tulum as well, then, I'd recommend a car; although I think you could make 2 trips. One to Akumal, etc. and one to Tulum and maybe Coba. Why try to do do much in one day?

Enjoy. Rose