We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

I still can't decide which resort. Every time I think I have made up my mind, I reconsider. I hear the Tucan beaches are nicer, but how are the beaches at Lindo/ Del Mar? Can anyone lend an opinion about which resort they think is better and why- all in my price range.

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

The Lindo and Maya are a better resort for the pools the variety of food and choices . YOu are not limited to 2 or 3 ala cart restaurants. The beach there is awesome. The color of the water at the Tucan is better, but not by that much. The rooms at the Maya/Lindo are better. (I should say newer).

If it is a matter of price, then the Lindo is less expensive than the Maya. I hope this helps.

nld
Ontario
Level Contributor
432 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

I agree with tinaandtodd about the Lindo/Maya being a better choice. There is more selection at these resorts compared to the others. You have four resorts in one. There is two different pool areas DelMar/Beach and Maya/Lindo with different activities, newer rooms and a huge selection of restaurants to choose from. We ate at a different restaurant every night. Good luck with your choice.

Shawnee
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

I just talked to my travel agent today and booked our trip for BOTH!!! He had to book three separate parts ogf the trip , air , Qutzal(Tucan) and Lindo. It actually ended up only $100 more than it would have been to do the Quetzal for all 7 nights. The only downside was we had to pay for half the trip up front as a deposit but it was not a big deal.

If that is not an option for you ... I can tell you that we stayed at the Tucan last year and is was really nice. If you like to be able to go into Playa on a whim and shop or eat stay there. Less than five minutes by cab and cost for the ride is about $4.00 each way. This is also where the ferry to Cozomel is. From Lindo I understan it is 20 mi and about $ 18 each way.

When are you going?

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindo/Del Mar/Tucan?

The Lindo is new and gets great reviews, but the Lindo and Del Mar are quite a ways from town. They are nice if you are going to go on planned excursions or just hang at the resort. Both of these properties are quite large too, so it's not as easy to walk around.

The pool at the Del Mar is nice, but where's the beach? You can't sea the beach from the pool area, it's hidden around the corner and past the trees. We did like that the pool at the Del Mar had a more shallow area (about 3 ft.), but overall, it would not be my preference.

Now, for the Tucan. Location, location, location. It's in a gated community called Playacar and there's a shopping area that you can walk to across the street. Playa Del Carmen is 2 miles away and you can walk or take a cab for $4. From PDC, you can also take a ferry to Cozumel.

The Tucan is a beautiful, well-maintained property and the pool and beach are spectacular. Just at the end of the pool, is the beach.

I don't want to go on and on, but I can't say enough good things about the Tucan. If you want more specifics or would like to see my pictures (I've been there twice and am considering going back a third since Iberostar is on sale), please e-mail me at mjbabiarz@hotmail.com.

If you stay at the Tucan, you can take a cab (which is not included in the price) to the Paraiso Del Mar for the day to use their pool/beach/buffet. We did this, and there was a group of 10 of us who all decided that we liked the Tucan better. We were glad we visited, but that might be an option for you. :)