We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Choosing Resortl!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
j_kis
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Choosing Resortl!

Hi

I can't decide between any of the AI hotels in Playa Del Carmen. So many are so beautiful. I'm looking for a reosrt with a nice beach and huge pool and nice rooms that are not too dated.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

Hi -

For us to help you choose a resort that best suits you, you should give us a little more info on what you are looking for.

- how much do you want to spend?

- how long are you going?

- do you want an adults only resort?

- do you want a family friendly hotel which has kids programs?

- do you want a big resort (over 300 rooms)?

- do you want a smaller resort / less walking?

- do you want to be close to the town of playa del carmen?

- do you want a hotel with a disco / nightlife?

- do you want a quiet hotel?

There are way too many hotels to choose from and we will need a little more info to help you.

I suggest going to a nearby travel agent and picking up a booklet on Mexico. Look through the pamphlet at the different hotels and their description to get an idea of what you like. Then you can look at the hotel reviews on here to get an even better idea of people's experiences at the different hotels.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

I have not been yet, but just went through what you are going through, deciding on a resort. We chose the Iberostar Paraiso Beach, for these reasons......

*we are 29 & 30, married with two small children (they're staying home)--PDC seems quieter than Cancun

*beach looks gorgeous, white sand, blue water--not a lagoon

*pool looks really nice, with a couple of bars and an ice cream bar

*many good reviews on CLEAN rooms, really don't remember reading anyone say the rooms were unclean

*many good reviews about the food--most people said "good", some people said "OK", don't really recall anyone saying "bad"

*Paraiso Beach/Del Mar are the lowest price of all the IB* resorts--we figured we wouldn't know the difference anyway, plus lower than the RIUs and Palace resorts

*being a "chain" resort, we can visit the other locations

*we booked through funjet because they had a better flight, but apple had slightly better prices

I hope this helps. I'm terrible with making decisions like these. But, I read so many reviews here on TA. I really think we made the best choice, for us.

Pittsburgh
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

HI J Kis

I'm going in November and trying to make a decision as well. Applevactions has a bargin going for RUI Yucatan. I know they were renovating, but I'm not sure when they will finish. Might be worth your looking into. Meanwhile, I just keep reading the reviews and checking for last minute deals.

Anybody have any other info on RUI Yucatan?

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

Whatever you pick, make sure they have a beach left after all the erosion. Some hotels don't have much of a beach left and you may be very very disappointed.

j_kis
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

Hi weloveplaya,

Here are some more details on what I���m looking for:

- I���m willing to spend up to $2500 Cdn per person for an all-inclusive

- We will be going for 1 week

- Doesn���t matter if its adults only or not

- I like big resorts

- Don���t mind long walks

- Don���t need to be close to town, we plan on just relaxing and doing not much of anything

- No nightclub necessary

Reading all the reviews from different hotels get pretty confusing. I can���t decide between the Adventura Spa Palace. Which I really like but the beaches at the other resorts look so beautiful. So I���m not sure if I should choose the ASP. All the Iberostar Resorts look nice but not sure which one to pick. And the Paradisus Riviera Cancun looks really nice too.

I just driving myself crazy trying to choose.

Thanks

Kansas City
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

j kis, just went through the same decision process and chose the RIU palace. sooooo many good reviews. sounds like just what you're looking for. heard the pool isn't huge, but definately big enough. we love to hang on the beach and from what I'm seeing and hearing, the beach here is great with plenty of space. I can't wait to see the food options, reviews make it out to be outstanding in selection and taste. not too far out from town, but far enough. it's in the Playacar region, which we like. we've stayed in playacar before at a smaller resort and are very excited to hit the RIU palace!

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

If I can make a suggestion, stay in Playacar (RIU Playacar, Palace, Yucatan), GALAA, or Iberostar Tucan. This is the nicest area within close proximity to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel.

Someone recommended the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar, but we like to get out and walk around, and you can't go anywhere from the Paraiso unless you take a cab (it's closer to the airport).

My personal favorite is the Iberostar Tucan. I have been there twice and am planning on returning again. If you stay at the Tucan, you can pay for a cab to stay as a guest at the Paraiso Del Mar for the day to use their facilities, which is a nice option.

If you have any other questions or would like to see pictures, just e-mail me at mjbabiarz@hotmail.com.

Shawnee
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

I have to agree - been to Allegro , Gala and IB Quetzal( same as Tucan. Best were Quetzal and Gala. They have the best beach and nice rooms.

CT
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Choosing Resortl!

I highly recommend the Iberostar Paraiso Beach. I've been and we are returning this year. Big, beautiful resort. Beautiful beach and 80,000 sq. pool. Food is very good in our opinion. Room was very clean and comfy!! If you have any questions, i'd be happy to give my opinion!!! Renee